Notifications
Clear all

question about harnesses & muzzles  

RSS
Vata Raven
Reputable Member

So, on the FaceBook groups for fox owners, people are showing off imagine of their new fox kits.

Many of the photos, I'm seeing the kits in a harness with no muzzle, and some have a muzzle on.

By putting them on a kit, is this training the kit to get used to the harness and muzzle at an early age? You know, so when the kit is grown, your not struggling to put get them on your fox.

Thank you for your time.

Posted : June 24, 2018 12:15 am
Ash
 Ash
Admin Admin

Yes, putting on a muzzle and harness when young would definitely help get them used to it. For most foxes though the hard part is getting the harness put on, not so much the actually having it on them. Although it makes it more convenient for teaching them about leashes to already have the animal harnessed.

It's good to get them used to things when they're little. Fable got used to wearing his harness and to the leash when he was young, whereas I made a mistake with Ifrit and didn't introduce the leash early enough. So even though she'll wear a harness no problem, the leash freaks her out. I'm sure she'd get used to it if I worked with her slowly. To this day neither of them are good about getting the harness put on. Fable thinks it's a game though and runs and play bows a ton while I'm trying to catch him and put it on.

It's pretty surprising how fast Nova took to a muzzle. He would have to be muzzled at the vet's during his hospital stay, and each day twice a day they'd have to muzzle him. Within just a few days, he got used to it and it no longer bothered him. Nova is pretty chill for a fox though, but thought that was interesting.

I'm Fable and Ifrit's mommy. Also mommy to Carousel, Breeze, and a bunch of snakes, lizards, and spiders. Oh, and one amphibian!

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 24, 2018 1:10 pm
Vata Raven
Reputable Member

@Ash, thank you for explaining it.

You mention the muzzle and the vet. Do vets require the pet foxes to be muzzled, or is it related to the BS about how rabies vaccine don't "work" on foxes, and the vet will kill the fox if it bites anyone on the facility?

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 24, 2018 2:15 pm
TamanduaGirl
Admin Admin

It depends on the vet and the fox. Some vets will require it but some wont and some foxes wont be good about a stranger handling them and so need a muzzle. Some get so freaked out about vet visits they need a mild sedative.

Ikigai is fine at the vet and doesn't need a muzzle, though if it were something painful then he might. I was worried about his rabies vaccine but he didn't even seem to feel it.

My fennec fox site: http://tiny-foxes.com
My anteater site: http://www.livingwithanteaters.com

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TamanduaGirl

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 24, 2018 7:08 pm
Ash
 Ash
Admin Admin

You're welcome. Smile
Yeah, depends on the vet. My vet required it in this case because Nova was not up-to-date on his vaccinations at the time of the visit, and if he bit someone, it would need to have been reported. If he had been up-to-date, it would have been okay.

Supposedly he was also pretty wild and unhandleable when I wasn't there. So when I'd come in to restrain him for fluids and injections they'd put the muzzle on for additional safety. I don't think it was needed, but I guess you can't be too careful.

I'm Fable and Ifrit's mommy. Also mommy to Carousel, Breeze, and a bunch of snakes, lizards, and spiders. Oh, and one amphibian!

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 24, 2018 7:15 pm
Vata Raven
Reputable Member

How long do they recommend to keep the harness and muzzle on?

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 25, 2018 12:05 am
Ash
 Ash
Admin Admin

I'd say that depends on the fox and how tolerant it is of them. Most foxes tolerate harnesses very well (aside from getting them put on), so can wear them for long periods of time to make things easy for the owner. As for the muzzle, I wouldn't put the muzzle on longer than necessary. Just enough time to get them used to the way it feels and what it restricts them from doing. Then off. Putting things on is always the biggest challenge.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 25, 2018 12:52 pm
Vata Raven
Reputable Member

@TamanduaGirl and Ash

Thank you for the input, now I have another thing to add into the research pile. Need to find a good harness and muzzle for my future arctic (whenever that happens)

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 25, 2018 9:31 pm
Share: