Notifications
Clear all

"Sic" Emu

Page 1 / 2
Angry Emu

Our dear Emu Drusilla can't stand on her feet. :cry:

Name: Drusilla
Sex: Female
Pen mate: Yes, one boy called Fence, he is 8 years old. (Goes together perfectly, still happily in love)
Other animals on the farm: 7 goats, 1 Llama, 1 dog and 4 cats

Physical and mentally:
- Healthy appetite, eating on her own, no problem swallowing (Fruits, vegetables, wheat and pellets)
- Drinks water with no problem
- The stool looks fine
- No wounds, no swollen joints, no visible fractures, the wings are ok, normal body temperature, no bad smell from nose or mouth, nice pink colour in the mouth, clear eyes, "talkes" now and then, showing no signs of aggression or in pain or other neurologically issues.

Problem:
On the morning of April the 8th (Monday) I found Drusilla lying in their barn/shed unable to stand up. Everytime she tried to stand up, she clumsy "falls down" in sleeping position, BUT she has no problem "crawling" around. At first, me and my husband suspected a small fracture or a sprain in one of her legs, but now, 11 days later and she is still having trouble standing up.

Later this evening, I lifted her up carefully to see if she may be able to stand on her feet, or at least put some weight on them at all, but no luck. She just wanted to "fall down" if it wasn't for me holding her up.

Please, does anyone recognise this??? This happend over night, the day before the 8th she was fine, showing no signs of that problem at all. Fence (her boyfriend) are in good condition, and have never been sick. I talked to the guy who we bought Drusilla from, asking if she ever was sick in his care, and he said no. Although, she did had a minor swollen mucosa(?) on her left eye when we bought her, but that vanhised two days later when she arrived to our farm. (His farm was dirty.)

We live in Norway, and I can count on one hand how many people in our country that own Emu's, and the vet. does not know a thing about these kind of birds, so I have noe one to ask for help over here.

Please, if anyone know what can cause this, or have any tips at all, I greatly appreciate any help!
(I apologise for my english grammar, but this is not my main language.)

Topic starter Posted : April 19, 2019 3:32 pm
Ash
 Ash
Admin Admin

I am sorry about Drusilla. I hope you can get her some help.

I have never owned an emu, but I was very interested in them for a while so I wrote up a care sheet for myself. I did some research, and here's what I wrote under the health section:

Healthy Emu:
A healthy emu will strut along the fence-line and be curious and attentive. A healthy hen should lay an egg about every 4 days.
A sign of a sick or injured emu, is an emu that has been sitting on the ground for several days. Also watch for changes in behavior, because these could be signs of a sick emu; example: If an emu is walking hunched with its neck low to the ground and eyes closed, this could be a sign of injury, illness, or infection.
“Ivomectin” should be given several times a year (3-4) in order to prevent worms and other parasites. This can be bought in a paste form that can be given orally to the emu.

Emu Health Issues/Treatment:
Impaction--an emu has eaten an object that it cannot pass, such as sticks or nails; the emu will try to defecate, but will seem to be struggling and will not be successful; vet attention is required, or laxatives used at the discretion of a professional may be administered.
Egg-bound--when a hen cannot pass an egg; an egg-bound hen will behave similarly to an emu suffering from impaction; she will try to lay, but will be unable to; with lubricants, you may reach inside the cloaca and feel if there is a hard surface about 4-5 inches inside; if you feel this, it is an egg that must be removed; consult a vet or a ratite professional; they may suggest laxatives or even breaking the egg so the yoke will drain; always consult a professional
Wounds--open wounds on any species of bird can be fatal, especially bite wounds from certain animals; clean the wound with warm water and apply an antibiotic ointment or neosporin; this will seal off the wound and help prevent infections; check the injury several times a day to ensure it is healing; be wary of flies and maggots that may be drawn to the injury by always keeping the wound clean
Worms--preventative Ivomectin should prevent parasites; however, if an emu becomes infected with worms, the results are often fatal once symptoms begin to appear; symptoms are neurological and results in a slow and painful death for the bird; if signs of recovery are not imminent, the best option for the bird is euthanasia
Broken bones--consult a veterinarian familiar with ratite veterinary care
Other issues may arise, but these are the most common; always study your emu for signs of strange behavior that is atypical; examine the bird for wounds or open sores every few days

I'm Fable and Ifrit's mommy. Also mommy to Carousel, Breeze, and a bunch of snakes, lizards, and spiders. Oh, and one amphibian!

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 19, 2019 9:29 pm
TamanduaGirl
Admin Admin

Might be cerebral nematodiasis (brain worm disease). Pat has had to deal with that before and it presented the same as the animal unable to lift it's body or head. Unfortunately the odds of recovery are not good. Ivermectin kills the parasites but it wont reverse the brain damage.

My fennec fox site: http://tiny-foxes.com
My anteater site: http://www.livingwithanteaters.com

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TamanduaGirl

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 20, 2019 1:17 pm
Angry Emu

Might be cerebral nematodiasis (brain worm disease). Pat has had to deal with that before and it presented the same as the animal unable to lift it's body or head. Unfortunately the odds of recovery are not good. Ivermectin kills the parasites but it wont reverse the brain damage.

Oh, that dosn't sound good... But she can lift her head, though..

About the Ivermectin; If Drusilla has no brain damage, will it work?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 21, 2019 12:45 pm
TamanduaGirl
Admin Admin

It's worth trying. There's some chance that once the parasites are killed and swelling goes down in the brain there could be some improvement if the issues are from the swelling and not permanent damage.

My fennec fox site: http://tiny-foxes.com
My anteater site: http://www.livingwithanteaters.com

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TamanduaGirl

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 22, 2019 1:15 am
pat
 pat
Admin Admin

here is some info about emus. http://www.sybilsden.com/caresheet/emus.htm

I use to have about 4 or more emus awhile ago. I actually got some from the zoo. the ones I got from the zoo all died from the meningeal worm icon-sad the zoo did give me a couple more which were better.

your emu sounds like it is from a meningeal worm. however, if treated early enough, it might pull through. you should be giving him ivermectin.
if at all possible, the injection works faster and better. otherwise, there is a paste you can administer to your emu.

the meningeal worm is horrible when left go. the ones I had that died from it, would roll around and could not walk. it was sad.

if you have a hard time injecting your emu, worse case you can squirt it in his mouth with a syringe. but, the injection works better.
for a preventive, there is ivermectin in a paste form. which should be used for preventive.

the emus I got from the zoo that had meningeal worm, was not a pretty site to see icon-sad. when advanced, the emu will not walk at all and rolls on the ground. that was quite a while ago I had emus, so can't remember all the details.
do you have a vet that will make house calls?

you said you have llamas and goats too. I did too. I had a llama that was very sick, so sick, she lost all control of her body. she could not even lift her head. I had a vet come over, but, nothing was confirmed. I gave her saline under the skin every day. rubbed her body, legs. had her head propped up on a straw bale. I worked with her everyday. rubbed her legs and body. one of the vets said, she won't pull through. but, I was determined to do my best. it took about a month with me working with her. I then had another vet come over when she started feeling better, and he managed to get her up on her feet. she lived a normal life for quite a while.

with your emu, don't give up hope just yet. yes, the meningeal worm is deadly, but, if treated quickly, your emu might still have a chance.
I am sorry you have to endure the health issue of your emu. it is hard to see our animal sick :cry:

please keep us updated.

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 22, 2019 5:31 am
Angry Emu

Hi, folks! I'm so sorry for not replying earlier, but I have some updates. I got some pictures to, but they are to big, and I have no clue on how to make them smaler...

I caught Fence red-handed today, being very aggressive against Drusilla! He cut her! :cry: It's not deep, luckily! I've cleaned the wound, and used a product called 'Blue Spray'. And, of course, seperated them. She used to hide between the wall and some wood lying in there, and got super stressed whenever I tried to get her out. NOW I know why... And, when she tried to get up and Fence walked in, he tapped on her head with his beak, and she stopped trying to get up and looked so depressed. Again, NOW I know why. I feel so bad.

About Drusilla: She still eats and drinks, and looks healthy (if you don't count the fact that she struggels to get up on her feet.) BUT, I found a lumb right below her poo-hole(I don't remember the english word for it right now). It's the size of a golf-ball, not hard, and I can touch it and squeeze it gently, and she does not seem in pain.

About egg bound, how long could a egg be stuck inside of her? And is there a way for me to check it?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 26, 2019 3:02 pm
pat
 pat
Admin Admin

Hi, folks! I'm so sorry for not replying earlier, but I have some updates. I got some pictures to, but they are to big, and I have no clue on how to make them smaler...

I caught Fence red-handed today, being very aggressive against Drusilla! He cut her! :cry: It's not deep, luckily! I've cleaned the wound, and used a product called 'Blue Spray'. And, of course, seperated them. She used to hide between the wall and some wood lying in there, and got super stressed whenever I tried to get her out. NOW I know why... And, when she tried to get up and Fence walked in, he tapped on her head with his beak, and she stopped trying to get up and looked so depressed. Again, NOW I know why. I feel so bad.

About Drusilla: She still eats and drinks, and looks healthy (if you don't count the fact that she struggels to get up on her feet.) BUT, I found a lumb right below her poo-hole(I don't remember the english word for it right now). It's the size of a golf-ball, not hard, and I can touch it and squeeze it gently, and she does not seem in pain.

About egg bound, how long could a egg be stuck inside of her? And is there a way for me to check it?

there are some free image programs online. I just got a trial graphics program, it has expired, but, I need to get a new one anyway.
when do, I can reduce the resolution for you. I think gimp has the capability of reducing the resolution. it is a free program.

I assume you mean one of your emus is egg bound? I had a chicken that was egg bound.I hate to say this, but, it killed her. can't remember how long she lived. however, if you want, you can try putting vegetable oil where the problem is for the egg bound. I can't remember how long my chicken lived with the egg bound problem. however, at that time, I didn't think of putting oil there. not even sure if it would work, but, sure won't hurt to try.

please keep us updated. if I can think of any other ideas, I will be sure to let you know.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 28, 2019 11:44 am
Angry Emu

I'm sorry to tell you guys, but Drusilla past away the night to May 1th. She died silently in her sleep.

I am so grateful for all your help, I really am.

Picture on the left is the day she arrived to us, and the picture on the right are two weeks before she got ill.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 3, 2019 9:19 am
pat
 pat
Admin Admin

I am so sorry to hear that icon-sad I know how hard it is to lose our animals, especially at a younger age icon-sad
do you know how old Drusilla was?

at least she died peacefully. but, I feel bad for you, It is not easy to lose our babies. icon-sad
was Drucilla the only emu you had? do you have more right now?
I use to have Rheas. the females were OK. but, wow, the males were crazy and could not be trusted.

Emu's are really nice pets. they are so interesting, and really kind of smart.

I don't know if you saw these pictures. Emu's get along with most other animals.
http://sybilsden.com/emu/emu1.htm
(the little black animal in the picture is my black bear when she was a baby)

again, I am so sorry to Drucila passed away. icon-sad

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 6, 2019 7:45 am
Angry Emu

I am so sorry to hear that icon-sad I know how hard it is to lose our animals, especially at a younger age icon-sad
do you know how old Drusilla was?

at least she died peacefully. but, I feel bad for you, It is not easy to lose our babies. icon-sad
was Drucilla the only emu you had? do you have more right now?
I use to have Rheas. the females were OK. but, wow, the males were crazy and could not be trusted.

Emu's are really nice pets. they are so interesting, and really kind of smart.

I don't know if you saw these pictures. Emu's get along with most other animals.
http://sybilsden.com/emu/emu1.htm
(the little black animal in the picture is my black bear when she was a baby)

again, I am so sorry to Drucila passed away. icon-sad

Thank you. Smile
She was 4 years old. Nope, never easy. We had her since October 2018, but still, I was soooo looking forward to see her taking baths in the emu-pool we made, eating watermellon, and just enjoy the sun and heat before the harsh winter of Norway sets in again. And she seemd so nice, and calm.

We have one left, a boy called Fence, and he is about 8 years old. We think he is more of a "lone wolf" type of Emu. And yes, the boys are so more un-trusty :lol: We bought Drusilla after we lost a boy emu last spring, he just died suddenly, no signs at all... After that Fence could be extremly aggressive, but he got a lot nicer after Drusilla came, but now she's gone. So I hope he will behave...

Oh, yes, they are super smart! Fence has suprised me on numerouse of times, and he often goes in 'stealth-mode' when he really want something. :lol:
We have 7 goats, 1 Llama and a dog and 4 cats, Fence get along just fine with them, but he does not like cats, for some reasons.

How awesome must it be to have a fricking BEAR as a pet?!?! :shock: icon-smile

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 7, 2019 8:46 am
pat
 pat
Admin Admin

She was 4 years old. Nope, never easy. We had her since October 2018, but still, I was soooo looking forward to see her taking baths in the emu-pool we made, eating watermellon, and just enjoy the sun and heat before the harsh winter of Norway sets in again. And she seemd so nice, and calm.

We have one left, a boy called Fence, and he is about 8 years old. We think he is more of a "lone wolf" type of Emu. And yes, the boys are so more un-trusty :lol: We bought Drusilla after we lost a boy emu last spring, he just died suddenly, no signs at all... After that Fence could be extremly aggressive, but he got a lot nicer after Drusilla came, but now she's gone. So I hope he will behave...

Oh, yes, they are super smart! Fence has suprised me on numerouse of times, and he often goes in 'stealth-mode' when he really want something. :lol:
We have 7 goats, 1 Llama and a dog and 4 cats, Fence get along just fine with them, but he does not like cats, for some reasons.

4 years old is very young for an emu. I have heard they can live up to 30 years. the last emu I had was from the zoo, so I have no idea how old he was. I had other ones before Rocky (my last emu) one of my coonhounds killed a couple of them, he somehow manage to get under the fence.
he was the only one that bothered my emu's and rheas.

from what I understand, emu's do better with a friend. Rocky (my last emu) was happy with my dogs and even my bear. when I found him dead,
looked like he had part of his organs hanging out. it was gross. I know my dogs did not kill him. my bears were kept in an enclosure at night.
I did have a male bear also, he died in 2015, he was only about 15 years old. I even had the vet look at him. but, I think the vet was afraid of him.
he was very gentle. the vet did try and sedate him, but, he did not have the proper sedative on him :roll:

I feel so bad you loss of Fence icon-sad it is so hard not knowing the exact cause. sometimes we blame ourselves. however, it could just be from genetics. :shrug: are you going to get another emu?

did you ever find any eggs from her? I got some from my rheas and emus, wow, they are big. I did cook one of them. taste just like regular eggs. but, alot bigger.

you sound like me, we just love all animals. they are like our kids.

again, I am so sorry for your loss. I feel your pain.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 7, 2019 1:56 pm
Angry Emu

4 years old is very young for an emu. I have heard they can live up to 30 years. the last emu I had was from the zoo, so I have no idea how old he was. I had other ones before Rocky (my last emu) one of my coonhounds killed a couple of them, he somehow manage to get under the fence.
he was the only one that bothered my emu's and rheas.

from what I understand, emu's do better with a friend. Rocky (my last emu) was happy with my dogs and even my bear. when I found him dead,
looked like he had part of his organs hanging out. it was gross. I know my dogs did not kill him. my bears were kept in an enclosure at night.
I did have a male bear also, he died in 2015, he was only about 15 years old. I even had the vet look at him. but, I think the vet was afraid of him.
he was very gentle. the vet did try and sedate him, but, he did not have the proper sedative on him :roll:

I feel so bad you loss of Fence icon-sad it is so hard not knowing the exact cause. sometimes we blame ourselves. however, it could just be from genetics. :shrug: are you going to get another emu?

did you ever find any eggs from her? I got some from my rheas and emus, wow, they are big. I did cook one of them. taste just like regular eggs. but, alot bigger.

you sound like me, we just love all animals. they are like our kids.

again, I am so sorry for your loss. I feel your pain.

Ouch, poor Rocky! icon-sad

Yes, I agree, but Fence seem to be more annoyd and aggressiv when he was with other emus. Fence is still alive and kicking, so he's all alone now. I'm thinking of bying another Emu, but our "dealer" only has males, and no females for sale... What would you suggest? That Fence got a (male) buddy, or none at all?

I think (since english is not my native language), I may have wrote it wrong; Drusilla died, we bought her after Fence's buddy Maya suddenly died last spring. The only Emu we have now, are Fence.
I definitely blame my self for their deaths. Yes, it could be genetics. The person we bought Maya and Drusilla from, are the same person who started with Emus here in Norway, and all of us who bought emu at some point - I believe you can trace their geneticts to this person emus.

I know Drusilla laid two eggs in the few months she was here. One of them tey did not showed any affection for, and the other one was crushed.

Oh yes! All my animals are my children.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 8, 2019 9:03 am
pat
 pat
Admin Admin

Yes, I agree, but Fence seem to be more annoyd and aggressiv when he was with other emus. Fence is still alive and kicking, so he's all alone now. I'm thinking of bying another Emu, but our "dealer" only has males, and no females for sale... What would you suggest? That Fence got a (male) buddy, or none at all?

I think (since english is not my native language), I may have wrote it wrong; Drusilla died, we bought her after Fence's buddy Maya suddenly died last spring. The only Emu we have now, are Fence.
I definitely blame my self for their deaths. Yes, it could be genetics. The person we bought Maya and Drusilla from, are the same person who started with Emus here in Norway, and all of us who bought emu at some point - I believe you can trace their geneticts to this person emus.

I know Drusilla laid two eggs in the few months she was here. One of them tey did not showed any affection for, and the other one was crushed.

i
t has been a while since I had emu's. I am not sure about another male. I think I had male and females together. I honestly cannot say for sure if Fence will get along with another male. what I use to do, was put the new emu in a different pen next to my existing emu's and rhea's. this way, the new ones and old ones would get use to seeing them. you should be able to tell how well they get along.
what do you feed your emu? I fed mine turkey food. a long time ago, I bought "ratite food" (not sure how old the food was) I know that food killed all the baby rheas I had. after researching what is the best food for emu's, many said "turkey food"

I am sorry if I got the names mixed up. I multi-task too much. your language is fine. I can understand what you are posting.

forgot to mention, I am sure you know the males sit on the eggs. the rheas I had did hatch a couple of babies.
I do remember I think two babies had a hole in its neck. I took the one that survived to the vet, but, the baby didn't make icon-sad
it was the weirdest thing I ever saw. when the baby would eat, the food would come out of the side of his neck. I never did find out what caused that. maybe a birth defect?

my last fox I have is probably dying :cry: he is 12 years old. their average life span is 10-12. my first one lived to be almost 13.
the second one to 12. It is so hard to see Donnie (my fox) in distress. I don't know what to do. I thought about having a vet put him down.
but, guess, I am being selfish.

let me know what you decide about another emu.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 8, 2019 4:22 pm
Angry Emu

i
t has been a while since I had emu's. I am not sure about another male. I think I had male and females together. I honestly cannot say for sure if Fence will get along with another male. what I use to do, was put the new emu in a different pen next to my existing emu's and rhea's. this way, the new ones and old ones would get use to seeing them. you should be able to tell how well they get along.
what do you feed your emu? I fed mine turkey food. a long time ago, I bought "ratite food" (not sure how old the food was) I know that food killed all the baby rheas I had. after researching what is the best food for emu's, many said "turkey food"

I am sorry if I got the names mixed up. I multi-task too much. your language is fine. I can understand what you are posting.

forgot to mention, I am sure you know the males sit on the eggs. the rheas I had did hatch a couple of babies.
I do remember I think two babies had a hole in its neck. I took the one that survived to the vet, but, the baby didn't make icon-sad
it was the weirdest thing I ever saw. when the baby would eat, the food would come out of the side of his neck. I never did find out what caused that. maybe a birth defect?

my last fox I have is probably dying :cry: he is 12 years old. their average life span is 10-12. my first one lived to be almost 13.
the second one to 12. It is so hard to see Donnie (my fox) in distress. I don't know what to do. I thought about having a vet put him down.
but, guess, I am being selfish.

let me know what you decide about another emu.

Before we got Drusilla, Fence lived with another boy Emu, called Major. 70% of the time, they got along just fine, the other 30% they chased each other, but never aggressive.
Fence is now very calm, and the minut Drusilla died, he got alot calmer. Well, I'm not going to lie, when he get he's favorite food (watermleon), he turns into a T-Rex and chases everyone who breaths. :lol: (This is the only time he is dangerous aggressive)
I think he will be fine on he's own. But I will monitor him closely, of course.

Ge eats what the goats and the Llama eat. A pellet that is for goats and cows, I believe. Other than that, he gets fruit and vegetable, oats, bread crumbs, and sometimes boiled rice and/or pasta. And crispbread.

Do you have the brand name for that tyrkey food? I will try look it up in my local farmers store.

Hmm, sound strange. Perhaps a bird defect as you wrote, or inbreeding.

You have a fox too?! :shock: What awesome animals don't you have, heh! 😉 I'm so sorry to hear that :cry: Can the vet. do someting, medication or pain killers?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 14, 2019 6:51 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: