Notifications
Clear all

Yatzee has turned on me  

RSS
Yatzee
Estimable Member

Hi everyone. Good to see the forum is back up.

Yatzee is 2 years old and he has totally turned on me. He loves my husband but, he Huff's at me, chases me trying to attack my feet and he makes what I call a donkey type noise. He will sit next to me and out of no where just bite me. Every time he is near me all he wants to do is bite. I mean bite and shake, like a dog. If he can't bite me, he attacks my pillow or my blanket. It has gotten to the point to where if he is up, I close my bedroom door. 

I have no idea why. I raised him up from 5 weeks old. He's neutered. I shower him with love.

He started the donkeying when I would come home from work. I thought, maybe the smell of my job. So, I showered when I came home. Didn't work.  my husband went to work with me one time and Yatzee didn't treat him any differently. So, it wasn't my work smell. I'm a body piercer. No animals there.

I work 3 days a week so, for 3 days, he would be mean to me. When I was off, he was nice to me no donkeying no huffing. Well, the last 3 weeks it doesn't matter if I'm home or not, he just wants to attack me. The breeder won't call me back, he probably thinks I want to give him to him. I don't. Raccoon Facebook pages, no one ever heard a raccoon make those donkey noises. Some say he misses me but, he wants to rip me apart. Don't think that is a sign of missing me. 

I don't know what to do. At this point, he is my husband's raccoon. I have no part in doing anything with him. I can't. 

I have bite proof gloves and I put those on just so I can pet him. He knows he can't hurt me with them on. He tries to attack my face or skin anywhere. I hope that if I just keep getting him with the gloves on he will realize I'm not a threat. I have been doing the gloves for a month though. He still hates me.

Posted : August 25, 2020 4:14 pm
pat
 pat
Admin Admin

sorry for long delay. I have not been on this board for a while.  I have been pretty busy.

if you have problems with your raccoon next time, please email me "sybil@sybilsden.com (I check it everyday)

I honestly don't know why he turned on you.  I can only suggest a few ideas, no guarantee it will work.

If you think it is due to your work schedule (not home all day)  You could try giving him a light blanket or a piece of your clothing.

something with your smell on it. have you corrected him at a young age about biting?  Do you offer him a treat by hand? praise him when he is good.

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 3, 2020 2:12 am
Trefoil
Member Admin

I am so sorry you're having problems with Yatzee.  For quite a while I had somewhat similar problems with Scooter.  He though, would sometimes be friendly and then just bite for no reason,hard, or  be under my bed and bite ( again, hard ) my feet when I got out of bed. If I offered him a treat, I would never know whether he was going to take the treat or my fingers. It got to the point that i ignored or actively avoided him and as I was his only human companion, it stopped me from getting bitten but did nothing else.  A year ago in March, my Chloe died.  I was (am) brokenhearted, Lily was (is) elated and Scooter hid for 3 weeks.  I literally didn't see him except when I hunted him down to ensure he was still alive, not being fond of getting bitten, I had no interaction with him at all.  

Then, after a month of this, Scooter reappeared, his behavior totally changed.  He was suddenly my lover boy, hasn't bitten since and spends the time when i'm around, lying by my chair for pets and treats  and following me around.  No idea what happened. Scooter was never neutered.

My take from all this - I don't think coons are mindless,completely controlled by their hormones.  Yatzee knows who you are and has decided for whatever reason that he is allowed to treat you like this.  If he no longer likes you, its up to him to avoid being around you and its your job to point out to him that you won't tolerate being attacked. This does mean that you can't force him to be around you.   Your situation may be different from mine, my coons have always had the run of the house,they live with me.  If you can, when he bites or "attacks" you, try grabbing him by the back of the neck , shake him like his momma would and sternly say no. I fully realize that's easier said than done, the last time I tried to lift Scooter ( to put him in the bathtub)  I was unable to get his lard butt off the floor.  He was not impressed.  If you are unable to do this maybe try "banishing" him for a few minutes as a punishment.  If you have a cage, confine him and ignore him for a few minutes.  Good luck

I hope your problem gets resolved.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 5, 2020 8:00 pm
pat
 pat
Admin Admin

Hi Trefoil,

I remember you having problems with Scooter. Glad he is doing good.  How old is Scooter?

I was with you  when you bought Chlole. How old is Scooter now?

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 7, 2020 6:32 pm
pat
 pat
Admin Admin

Yatzee,

Where and what does Yatzee have for bedding? outside time?  enrichment time?
I am not saying this is the problem, I am trying to understand some of his activities. What age was he neurtered?

I have to wonder if you got a 2nd raccoon, if Yatzee would change. Also, can you email me the breeder you got him from?

I just find it odd he would change after having him for quite a while.  Also, what do you feed him? Does Yatzee  understand commands?
Mine learned the word "NO" when they were still on the bottle.  They do understand other words.

I think I mentioned about the "yuppy puppy machine"  My raccoons love it.  They learned it very quick.  If I put dog food in their food bowl,
they won't eat it, but, if it is in the "yuppy puppy machine" they clean it up.   What if any snacks to you give Yatzee? 

I think Yatzee will come around.  Please keep us updated.

Pat

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 7, 2020 6:42 pm
Trefoil
Member Admin

I can't remember when I got Scooter. I wrote it down somewhere safe- never to be seen again and My daughter assures me I've got Alzheimer's .  He's at least 10.  I'm really worried about him right now, he's in hiding again. I have always fed my coons taste of the wild, in hopes that it would be better for them and supplementing it with chicken breast (cooked) a couple of times a week and whatever he begs off me, but then Scooter discovered chicken livers (raw) after stealing from Lily- he loves them, so he's been getting them once a week as well and I'm switching to a more fruit and veggie staple food. Until Chloe I always fed people food supplemented with vionate.  I can't figure out how a coon thinks but love their sense of self.  They seem to act on what they feel at the time without considering consequences i.e. if they are po ed at you, you know it, just not necessarily why. That's one of the reasons I think that Yatzee's behavior is deliberate,unless there is a medical reason for it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 7, 2020 7:25 pm
Share: