Notifications
Clear all

Urine smell  

RSS
Shelle81

I have taken in a baby raccoon who is about 5-6 weeks old and his urine smells, is this normal?

Posted : May 27, 2019 11:20 pm
pat
 pat
Admin Admin

I have taken in a baby raccoon who is about 5-6 weeks old and his urine smells, is this normal?

no, it is not normal. However, it could depend on where he pees at? I use litter pans with kitty litter.
However, if your raccoon's urine smells bad, he could have an infection. Maybe a vet check would help to know for sure.
also, what are you feeding him? is he still on the bottle? what type of formula did you use or currently use?

what are you using for him to pee in?

please keep us updated on your raccoon.

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 29, 2019 12:19 pm
Shelle81

He is still on the bottle, and drinking puppy formula, right now I've got him peeing on a pee pad in his cage or he pees on me sometimes when he is out lol..I haven't got a litter box yet cause he is little still and I didnt think he could get in a litter box..I dont know a vet that would actually see him, cause actually I dont think he is legal where I live and I cant find a rehabber and I couldn't not take him, I love animals

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 29, 2019 8:12 pm
pat
 pat
Admin Admin

He is still on the bottle, and drinking puppy formula, right now I've got him peeing on a pee pad in his cage or he pees on me sometimes when he is out lol..I haven't got a litter box yet cause he is little still and I didnt think he could get in a litter box..I dont know a vet that would actually see him, cause actually I dont think he is legal where I live and I cant find a rehabber and I couldn't not take him, I love animals

not knowing how long he is out of his cage, he should have a litter pan. actually, would not hurt to have more than one.
you don't need to put a lot of litter in the box. you can use a small kitty box and put a little bit of litter in it.
wherever he pees or poops, put that in the litter pan. he might get the idea.

You can also use a cardboard beer or pop case and cut one of the sides down for him to get into.

keep us updated

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 30, 2019 10:48 am
Juska
Noble Member Pats Friends

Or a shoebox with an entrance cut into the side.

Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix and Namira the domestic shorthair cat

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 31, 2019 8:51 am
Shelle81

Thanks yall, I changed his formula to the kitten formula instead of the puppy and his urine dont smell anymore

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 31, 2019 1:04 pm
pat
 pat
Admin Admin

Thanks yall, I changed his formula to the kitten formula instead of the puppy and his urine dont smell anymore

raccoons should not have a kitten or cat formula or food. a little once in a while is OK, but not on a daily basis.
what brand of dog formula were you using? the problem could have been the previous brand of formula. :shrug:
Nursall formula is a good one. that is what I used.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 1, 2019 11:19 am
pat
 pat
Admin Admin

Shelle81

How is your raccoon doing?
I know I am too late on this suggestion, but maybe for future babies, it might help.
I got Geroge (my oldest raccoon) at 1 weeks old. his eyes were still closed. because of his size, I had to keep him in a med sized dog carrier.
One end I put some rags for him to lay on, then near the cage door, I put a few heavy paper towels for him to pee on. However, at that age, I had to stimulate both ends to get him to pee and poop. I did not keep him in the carrier all time, only when he wanted to sleep or I had go to work.

Then as he got older, at night I kept him in a very large dog crate. the crate was more like a large kennel type. Anyway, I put a small box for his litter, but, I also put the blue heavy towels on top of the litter. He seemed to know right away what to do.

raccoons are very easy to potty train. Foxes are harder to train. but, I did get all my foxes litter trained.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 28, 2019 1:46 pm
Share: