Notifications
Clear all

Butt scooting raccoon  

the_unstable
Noble Member

So Stinky has been dragging/scooting his butt on the floor very frequently lately. I've seen Alex rub his anal area back and forth on objects or spots on the carpet but stinky actually sits and drags. I've checked repeatedly and never seen any worms or other debris around the anal area. What could the reason be for doing this?

Also, his anus doesn't look red, swollen, inflamed, or otherwise irritated. Everything looks normal. He hasn't ever had fleas and none of our other pets do, either, so I would think tapeworms would be unlikely. I've examined every stool when cleaning up and never seen any worms (though of course that doesn't mean he doesn't have them).

Topic starter Posted : July 10, 2012 11:15 pm
Trefoil
Member Admin

I don't know if raccoons have an anal gland, but that is one cause (aside from the biggie, worms) of the "boot scooting". I've never noticed Chloe doing this.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 12, 2012 3:11 pm
pat
 pat
Admin Admin

glad you mentioned that.

remember awhile ago, I said george was "marking"
well, that is what I was talking about. I thought he
was marking with his scent.

george has been doing that for quite awhile.
I looked under him, and noticed it looked red or bald and/swollen.
cant tell for sure. it is at his anal, but, more at the tip of his tail.
it didnt look like this back when I mentioned it. maybe he rubbed it raw.

I know he don't have worms. had him tested in December. (he was doing that before this)

so, I don't know what else it could be from. larry and billybob never did this.
I was thinking of taking him to the vet. not sure when I can.
maybe I should then. guess I was hoping he would stop doing this.
but, this has been going on for too long. just thought maybe it is way
of marking icon_confused.gif

did you get stinky fixed? sorry if you told me. I guess I forgot
remember I got george fixed right around breeding season.
thought it had something to do with that.
but, now that I think of it, stinky is not old enough for that yet.

I will try and call my vet for appointment on monday.
a couple of my dogs needs to go to.

maybe some cooons do this and some dont.
I have no idea.

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 13, 2012 8:26 pm
pat
 pat
Admin Admin

I don't know if raccoons have an anal gland, but that is one cause (aside from the biggie, worms) of the "boot scooting". I've never noticed Chloe doing this.

interesting point. wonder if some males do this. hmm.

none of your coons ever did this then, I know you had mostly females.
maybe it is a male thing.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 13, 2012 8:28 pm
Trefoil
Member Admin

My males never did this either that I can remember. I looked it up and supposedly they do have anal glands and use them to mark territory, I may not have seen it because any time I had multiple coons they were siblings. What I was thinking about the anal glands, it that they may have become plugged, like dogs sometimes do. I also learned a new name for when Chloe's being rotten, vermin. I'll have to remember that, I'm sure it'll come in handy soon.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 13, 2012 8:48 pm
pat
 pat
Admin Admin

My males never did this either that I can remember. I looked it up and supposedly they do have anal glands and use them to mark territory, I may not have seen it because any time I had multiple coons they were siblings. What I was thinking about the anal glands, it that they may have become plugged, like dogs sometimes do. I also learned a new name for when Chloe's being rotten, vermin. I'll have to remember that, I'm sure it'll come in handy soon.

thats what I was thinking, he was marking his territory,but
george does this all the time. maybe he just rubbed himself raw.
my other two has never done this.

he seems to rub mostly at the end of his tail, near his anal.

chloe can be a vermin :lol: thats a good one.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 14, 2012 6:48 am
the_unstable
Noble Member

Stinky is still butt dragging. It's sitting and scooting while alex rubs back and forth on a particular spot. No irritation around the anal area so I guess I'm not too worried. Maybe he marks differently than Alex.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 17, 2012 11:48 pm
pat
 pat
Admin Admin

if marking is the reason, I sure hope our guys outgrow this.

it is been months since george has been doing this. icon-sad
he didn't seem to bad yesterday though. he played with lucy my pup for hours.
(maybe he forgot to mark) :lol:

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 18, 2012 10:21 am
the_unstable
Noble Member

I don't really mind him doing it as it doesn't seem to cause a problem (though it is unhygienic). I was just worried he had something wrong with him. I hope it is just marking! Right now he's in the kitchen, trying to open all of the cabinets. When Alex was young, he liked to get in the pots and pans cabinet and he once pooped in a spaghetti pot. I didn't find it for a while. It was really, really gross. So far, things have been a lot easier with Stinky.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 18, 2012 12:16 pm
pat
 pat
Admin Admin

I don't really mind him doing it as it doesn't seem to cause a problem (though it is unhygienic). I was just worried he had something wrong with him. I hope it is just marking! Right now he's in the kitchen, trying to open all of the cabinets. When Alex was young, he liked to get in the pots and pans cabinet and he once pooped in a spaghetti pot. I didn't find it for a while. It was really, really gross. So far, things have been a lot easier with Stinky.

I personally hate when george does it. I seem to be able to smell a bit of an odor from him doing this.

oh, I remember the days with larry and the cupboards. I know it is frustrating.
can you limit the kitchen?

at least you finally found the poop from alex. guess it could have been worse.
I give my guys a lot credit. they are pretty faithful with the litter box.
when george was young, I did find a couple places where he didn't use the litter box.(but, that was only a couple times) but, now, he is really good about it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 30, 2012 3:59 pm
Aprilja2

Hello! I’m new here. Came across this page trying to find out why my raccoon is scooting her butt and rubbing it on her litter box. She is spayed and about 11/2 yo.. Did anyone happen to find out from a vet?? Thanks April 

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 21, 2021 2:11 am
Aprilja2

Spoiler
My girl is scooting on butt

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 21, 2021 2:12 am
Trefoil
Member Admin

anal gland?

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 21, 2021 8:04 pm