Notifications
Clear all

Are pet ringtails or cacomistles a thing?  

RSS
catlover1019
Eminent Member

It says on Wikipedia that historically, they were a thing, but I can't really find anything contemporary. Has anyone here had one or known anybody who has, and if so, what were they like?

Posted : August 9, 2019 6:27 am
Ash
 Ash
Admin Admin

A friend of mine has one. It's an absolute doll with her. Gets cranky when it is woken up during the day though and growls/hisses. But she handles him no problem and I believe allows the public to pet him. When I used to clean his enclosure I'd always have to peak in on him to make sure he was still in his hidey box--so that's how I knows he gets cranky. But she'll pull him out and put a harness on him without issue.

It's a pretty unique animal these days. Not many breeders. Someone in another thread just mentioned they found a breeder in Texas, so that's a great thing. I'd love to have one one day. Such cool little critters.

I'm pretty certain that my friend's ringtail came from the wild. I don't remember the circumstances, but it was legal. May have been a failed rehab.

I'm Fable and Ifrit's mommy. Also mommy to Carousel, Breeze, and a bunch of snakes, lizards, and spiders. Oh, and one amphibian!

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 9, 2019 4:07 pm
catlover1019
Eminent Member

Interesting. I think they'd be cool to have too. Honestly, if I had a nocturnal pet, I'd like to be able to live a nocturnal lifestyle along with them to be able to spend more time with them. I currently pretty much have a nocturnal sleep schedule (I sleep from about 6am to 2pm), but that's just because I don't have work or school right now. I'm think just having a night job might make it worse rather than better (being at work whole they're awake). Ideally, I'd want to work from home in some capacity that doesn't require me to be awake at the same time as my coworkers. That's probably a pipe-dream, though.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 10, 2019 7:39 am
Share: