Tiger King

Notifications
Clear all

Tiger King  

RSS
caninesrock
Noble Member

Has anyone seen the new Netflix documentary "Tiger King" about Joe Exotic and Carol Baskin? 

https://www.netflix.com/title/81115994

https://www.businessinsider.com/who-is-joe-exotic-maldonado-passage-tiger-king-netflix

I haven't had a chance to watch it because I no longer have a Netflix subscription but people have been talking about it all over the internet. I use to follow Joe Exotic's Youtube channel years ago before this documentary came out. I didn't know he was involved in illegal activity though at the time. I had heard about the whole Carol killing her husband and feeding him to tigers thing though.

This topic was modified 4 months ago 2 times by caninesrock

Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,Coyote or Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, ferrets,

Posted : April 8, 2020 11:48 pm
Nìmwey
Reputable Member

Spoilers - I guess?

I followed some of the drama while it happened. I knew about Carole killing her husband (yep), Joe's second husband being shot (didn't know it was suicide, since the media called it "a shooting at the zoo"), and Joe supposedly hiring someone to kill Carole. "They say" that he was framed and had to come up with charges that he killed and sold cubs illegally, because the murder for hire charges just wouldn't stick. I don't know, but this is not finished, and Jeff Lowe is probably the shadiest of them all.

I was actually going to make a thread on this now, as I just watched episode 7.
I'm just gonna copy-paste some of what I put on my blog.

90+% of the entire thing was of course about Joe-Jeff-Carole-Antle-whatever craziness, and I’m not gonna get into what I think about that (exceptCarolekilledherhusband), but about the very last part of episode 7, where they actually talked about the animals, and their (questionable) welfare.

There were old clips of Joe where he spoke of how the animals didn’t belong in Oklahoma, and that people needed to “stop breeding them”. Don’t know what that was about, but I think it’s pretty clear that his attitude changed, and it’s not about the animals for any of these people.

Not for Joe, not for Jeff, not for Antle, and not for Carole. It’s all about them as cult figures, and the money.

Joe admitted to shooting five tigers. He says he “euthanized them”. That’s really not dug deeper into. What was the motivation? The circumstances? Did he kill healthy animals for the heck of it? Or were they really sick or injured? Why were they sick or injured?

Is it not legal to kill your own animal, even an exotic or endangered one? Say if you have (no idea what happened in this case, I’m painting up fiction now, as an example) a tiger or [insert exotic] which fell and broke its leg horribly, bones are sticking out, the animal is screaming and it’s obvious no surgery can fix it.

Do you then have to apply for a permit to put it down? Wait for a vet to come there, tranq it and euthanize it with a lethal injection? That can’t be right. It has to be legal for you to shoot the poor thing.

And furthermore, last I checked, “generic tigers” aren’t endangered. They don’t require the same permits as if you have, say, a pure Bengal tiger. Generic tigers are under different legislation. Can someone explain this further? How is it illegal to kill your own animal for whatever reason (unless there is evidence of undue suffering, which would make the crime “animal cruelty”, not “animal killing”), and were they generic tigers or not?

How is it illegal to sell tiger cubs? Was it just done without paperwork? Crossing state borders without permits? (I don’t know what’s required in tiger trade, but I know people still trade tigers legally.)

More likely to get proper answers here than on tumblr.

Exotic birds, canines, snakes and hoofstock are my main interests.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 13, 2020 8:57 am
caninesrock
Noble Member

@Nimway: What did you think of Joe Exotic before this?  I used to like him before I found out about this documentary that claims he mistreated his animals and how the documentary kind of makes private zoos and exotic pet ownership look bad. :/  I heard he also apparently fed expired food both to his animals and to zoo guests supposedly.

Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,Coyote or Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, ferrets,

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 15, 2020 7:33 pm
Nìmwey
Reputable Member

I didn't watch that much of his stuff, but of course I appreciated the take on scamtuaries, and I watched the show on the Zanesville tragedy more than once. Mostly I found him... a bit too in love with his own reflection if you get what I mean, and not really someone I can put out everywhere as a good representative in my pro-exotics rants and blogs.

I knew people criticized the GW Zoo for "animal abuse", but since that term has been devalued so utterly today that literally looking at an animal is considered animal abuse, and I had not been given any solid evidence of it, I couldn't buy that. Just him as a person - eeeeh. He's entertaining, but obviously not the best representative and will put some people off.

It's been made clear that he did shoot five tigers, but I don't know what the circumstances was. And yes, that they did feed discarded Walmart meat to both animals and guests.

(Is it okay to post this here?)

bild

Exotic birds, canines, snakes and hoofstock are my main interests.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 18, 2020 9:48 pm
Share: