Notifications

Mink!  

RSS
Dylan and cassi
Eminent Member

I'm not trying to take anything away from these forums, but there are some good Facebook pages on mink. Mink University is a group and Minkenry is a page about a man named Joseph Carter who hunts with his mink. Also he has many uploads on YouTube of how to train mink and other off and ends. Search Joseph Carter on YouTube to find his videos. I suggest to watch all his videos. Oldest to newest!

Posted : December 24, 2016 3:28 am
Juska
Noble Member Pats Friends

Joseph is on here as Minkenry.

Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the domestic shorthair cat

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 24, 2016 4:50 pm
Slinky

Yep! But I don't think he is still active.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 25, 2016 12:26 am
Slinky

Does anyone know if albino mink have the genetic sickness like other unnatural mink. I wouldn't think they would because albinism happens in nature

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 29, 2016 12:39 pm
FrothingMagpies
Estimable Member

Albinism shouldn't effect mink, except obviously they will be a lot more sensitive to sunlight than other mink, & may have poorer vision in general, but they don't rely on sight as much as smell anyway. Tbh none of them live very long - they're bred so poorly on farms you'd be lucky to get them to live to be six. Even Joseph doesn't seem to have the same mink for more than 2 - 3 years, I almost never hear of one die of old age & most of the keepers I know would be big advocates of raw whole prey diets & plenty of exercise, so I wouldn't say their care is to blame. Domestic mink are just a a genetic mess 🙁

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 30, 2016 8:16 am
Slinky

Thanks for the info
How is Kuji doing? I love the silverblue cross markings on mink

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 30, 2016 12:37 pm
Dylan and cassi
Eminent Member

I agree. Mink are cross bred a lot to get the best quality fur. I have no proof but I know how bad they are.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 3, 2017 12:25 am
Slinky

Also will albino mink have a better temperment because they are lighter in color or will they not because they just have lost pigment. Sorry about so many albino mink questions just love their color.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 7, 2017 1:09 pm
FrothingMagpies
Estimable Member

@ Slinky he died in November, in his sleep. I would guess it was something internal, some kind of organ failure perhaps, he wasn't showing any signs of illness or stress beforehand. Silver blues are my favourites, but I think my next mink will be a black cross. Fingers crossed they turn out to be more sturdy 🙁
Albinos usually aren't one of the more placid colours, as I think technically most are descended from black & mahogany mink, but I know the farm my mink came from in Denmark were apparently working on a more domestic line of albinos, from what I've seen they really do seem like incredibly chill mink!

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 8, 2017 9:55 pm
Slinky

Sorry to hear that. Yea that was probably some type of internal problem

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 16, 2017 1:39 pm
Share: