Notifications
Clear all

Biting Ferrets At Pet Fair  

caninesrock
Noble Member

So, I was in the pet shop Pet Fair at the mall and they had ferrets there. The ferrets were kind of small so I thought they might be babies and maybe they were just teething or something. Anyway, I was telling my younger cousin(she's never owned a ferret,but I don't know where she heard this, if a friend told her or if she read it somwhere), that the ferrets were biting me and she said it was because they had been neglected. When I tried to pet them, they grabbed my finger between their two claws and bit it really hard,but luckily not hard enough to break the skin,but it hurt worse than teething puppies' bite. So, my question is, do you guys think the ferrrets were just teething because they were babies or had they been neglected?

Oh,and also, one of the ferrets was sleeping in the litter box. I know they sleep alot,but is it normal for them to sleep in a litterbox that has waste in it?

Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,Coyote or Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, ferrets,

Topic starter Posted : November 21, 2011 1:20 pm
TamanduaGirl
Admin Admin

I know cats often sleep in littler boxes but they are more likely to do it when feeling insecure but over all it's just that they are in a small space and it is fairly comfortable. Cat's do it a lot when in a kennel.

As for biting I don't think so at least not in that way. They are naturally bitey and need to be trained not to or at least to bite gently and they haven't been trained. Pet stores around here have set ups so you can't touch the ferrets unless someone gets them for you because of the biting issue. So it's normal for a young untrained ferret.

My fennec fox site: http://tiny-foxes.com
My anteater site: http://www.livingwithanteaters.com

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TamanduaGirl

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 21, 2011 1:48 pm
Elina
Noble Member Pats Friends

When my sisters ferrets were young they were the most nippy creatures I had EVER met! They bit my fingers, toes, any and everything but they had been handled from a young age and had never been mistreated that is just how young ferrets are.
As they got older they got less nippy BUT they still bite toes when they are doing their hyper ferret dance, well more or a nip but like you said it hurts more then a bite from a puppy and that is because of the type of teeth they have.

The WORST ferret bite I have ever had is when I was looking after my sisters ferrets for her and was giving them a bath and one bit the inside of my wrist and would not let go. It made my wrist bled like nobody's business! My sister later told me they do this often. . . great thing to forget to tell me :roll: .

I don't think the ones at the fair were anything but young ferrets having a good time.

http://theflashmans.blogspot.com/ - Online home of Elspeth and Harry Flashman the Corsac foxes.
http://flashmanfoxes.webs.com - Photos and videos of my foxlings!

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 21, 2011 1:57 pm
Lasergrl
Noble Member

YES its fairly normal for baby ferrets to bite. Thats natural baby ferret behavior. they have to be trained to not bite. They can be trained but if not they will bite for their lifetime in alot of cases. Some ferrets are naturally gentle but thats not the usual. Ferrets also sleep in their litterbox sometimes. They dont always care to sleep away from mess, kind of like foxes in this way.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 21, 2011 4:39 pm
Juska

Usually there's a sign that says "Don't stick your fingers in this cage", it's just not a good idea to offer your fingers/hands to animals at a pet store.

Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix and Namira the domestic shorthair cat

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 21, 2011 6:50 pm
sarajeku
Noble Member

Usually there's a sign that says "Don't stick your fingers in this cage", it's just not a good idea to offer your fingers/hands to animals at a pet store.

hehehe That made me giggle. Mostly because we have this sign at the primate center.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 21, 2011 7:33 pm
Whatsername
Reputable Member

Once, I tried petting the ferrets at a pet store and it bit me and left a scar for quite some time too. It was a few years ago and was dumb of me, but I think the store workers heard me talking about it to my friend as I walked out because next time I showed up there was a sign there. xD

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 21, 2011 8:23 pm
caninesrock
Noble Member

This one had a sign saying you could pet the animals. It says something along the lines of "Love us, pet us,but please don't pick us up. We may bite." or something along those lines. I wouldn't have put my fingers in if it had said not to or didn't have a sign saying anything at all. Trust me. I'm not one of those dimwitted people that ignore signs. Lol. :lol:

Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,Coyote or Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, ferrets,

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 21, 2011 9:42 pm
Juska

We had a sign like that on the open puppy pens, but our ferrets were kept in a plexiglass pen with a screwed-on top. Who would keep ferrets in an open pen? That's just asking for trouble, IMO.

Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix and Namira the domestic shorthair cat

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 22, 2011 7:43 am
Share: