Notifications
Clear all

Pet jaguar vs leopard personality?  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
Splashstorm Ⓥ
Eminent Member

So I know there have been more leopard attacks than jaguar ones. I just want to know their personalities & temperaments. 

【 Past Pets 】Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
【 Close Future 】German shepherd service dog puppy prospect!
【 Far Future 】Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Missouri fox trotter horse, African painted dog & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Cat tickers
┏━━━━━━━━━━━━/(=⌒x⌒=)\━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┓
░▒▓█ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ɢʀɪᴇᴠᴇ. ᴀɴʏᴛʜɪɴɢ ʏᴏᴜ ʟᴏꜱᴇ ᴄᴏᴍᴇꜱ ʀᴏᴜɴᴅ ɪɴ ᴀɴᴏᴛʜᴇʀ ꜰᴏʀᴍ.█▓▒░
.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。・🐰💫🐶.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。・.・
.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。・💗💗💗 .・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。・.・
┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━◦🐾◦━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

Posted : January 31, 2020 7:07 am
Valentine

From what I read (wild ones, not pet ones);

I've heard two contradicting points. I've heard that Jaguars are more bold, but I've also heard that they are naturally a coward and rather hide than get hurt. 

Jaguars are not as agile in trees as leopards.

Leopards have predators, where Jaguars are apex predators. 

Leopards are also very territorial, where as Jaguars are less territorial. 

There's also the fact that cats, like any other animal, can get overly excited. If they see something moving in a prey like fashion, they might be inclined to pounce. Prey drive is very strong. Stalking, pouncing, and killing is a large part of their mental stimulation. Who knows if the leopards were given enrichment everyday or not. All that pent up energy has to get out somehow. 

That's all I got. Not an expert, but some information to maybe figure out why attacks happen more often from leopards rather that jaguars.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 31, 2020 3:57 pm
pat
 pat
Admin Admin

spash,

why don't you just open a zoo.. LOL

Seriously, the animals you are interested in, would be the very  last ones I would want.

The other animals you mentioned, I doubt they can be trusted.  Yes, when they are young. however, they will change as they get older.  You would have to spend every waking hour with them. 

Also, you would need a very very large enclosure and it is a must to have them very secure.  a double fence, even with electric, If they got out and hurt or killed someone, their blood would be on your hands.   I have seen many horror stories, some did not have a good ending.  I am not trying to talk you out of it.  I just want you to make sure you completely understand the proper food and care they would require.

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 1, 2020 12:11 am
Splashstorm Ⓥ
Eminent Member

I'm actually wanting to have my own large predator "park" filled with my own personal pets 😂 once I get my career started of course. Excluding the farm animals I want, I only want 1-2 predators at a time (depending on what species & who can mingle) bc I want to be able to devote all my time to developing that bond. I'm looking at large land by my area because in Wisconsin, all species that I want can legally be pets if you have the proper permits. 

【 Past Pets 】Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
【 Far Future 】Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Missouri fox trotter horse, African painted dog & much more!

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 1, 2020 9:41 pm
pat
 pat
Admin Admin

a park would be nice.   I don't think it would be cheap to get it started.  I really don't know.   One of the members here use to have a small animal park. he has not been on for awhile.

However, I have faith in you, I know you will be able to start a park.  I think it is a lot of work. you would in time have to hire some people.  Guess it depends on how many animals you have.
I would think most animal parks  have a machine where they can buy food for the animals.  guess, something like that would help also.  I know the park near me has one at each of the different species.
Keep me updated please. 

a question:  why would you want to exclude any farm animals?  There are city folks that might enjoy seeing them.  When I get a chance, I will look at different zoo's and see what they have.

For me, I would enjoy seeing elephants and other animals that I could not keep and  afford to keep them.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 2, 2020 2:43 am
Splashstorm Ⓥ
Eminent Member

It'll probably be only a small mini park. All the animals I want are:

• Hyena
  • Liger
  • Cheetah
  • Wolf 
  • Mountain lion
  • Wolverine
  • African painted dog
  • Tiger
  • Snow leopard 
  • Clouded leopard
  • Horse
  • Owl
  • Pig
  • Lion
  • Sheep
  • Goat

They'll all be personal pets. And I didn't mean I'd not have farm animals 😂 I meant not counting them as one of my predatory animals for the park. It's extremely unfortunate that some of the ones I want are critically endangered. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 3, 2020 6:39 am
pat
 pat
Admin Admin

I am not trying to talk you out of starting a  zoo.  I personally think it would be nice.  Sometimes, I thought about it myself. but, geez, I already have part of a zoo here LOL

Personally, if it was me, I would start out with easier ones to train or work with.  I will list some of the animals I had and still have.  those, I can help you with.
(goats, black beers, mini donkeys, chickens, ducks, turkeys, emu's, pigs (most of the other birds in the ratite family are pretty nasty)  emu's can be pet quality and  guineas. (they are pretty neat) they are good with killing ticks. and fleas. The guineas are loud. However, I like their noise. 

Actually, I have a video of some of the animals I have and had. when I get a chance, I will try and post it.  

A friend of mine had white tigers. they were beautiful.    Actually, they were pretty friendly. I was able to pet them, but that is on the outside of the cage.   
The sad part was he was forced to get rid of them because of the raid (see the link) 
https://www.gq.com/story/terry-thompson-ohio-zoo-massacre-chris-heath-gq-february-2012
all his animals were killed. I also believe Terry was killed by the fire arms, tobacco.
Another friend had a munjac and bobcat. he also was forced to get rid of them by the state. The sad part is, the bobcat died after the state took the bobcat. 
Actually, the bobcat and munjac, were good friends.

As for the  Wolverine and  African painted dog, they are very nasty, even in captivity.
Have you thought about monkeys? gorrilas? Orangtans? Elephants? (my favorites)  I watch a lot of those type animals.  Are you considering a petting zoo?  They are usually the animals when they are young.
If I can think of some other animals that would be good starters, I will let you know...  

Almost every night I watch many different species of  animals on youtube.  I find it very interesting.  Gee, I wish you lived closer, I would volunteer to help you.  

Honesty, I am not  talking you out if at all. I know you will be successful. I just want you to make sure you don't get hurt, or anyone else get injured. 
Keep me updated please....

This post was modified 10 months ago by pat

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 4, 2020 7:02 pm
Splashstorm Ⓥ
Eminent Member

I understand where you're coming from. But I don't want to have an animal I'm not interested in, and most of the ones I am interested in are large predators. I really want to start out with a cheetah but I know they'll be extremely, if not impossible, to attain. 😣 Next I'd want a spotted hyena, and a wolf. And then id want my Missouri fox trotter horse, liger, and lion. And so on and so forth. I've heard that wolverines and African painted dogs are actually quite friendly with their caretakers. 

No I haven't considered primates or elephants. Just not very interested in them, plus with the elephant I can imagine itd cost a fortune to feed.😅😅 I haven't really thought of whether or not the park would be a petting zoo. It'd be a bit risky with the big cats. And thanks a lot! Whenever I talk to ppl about this they think it's a far-fetched dream of mine, but I'm going to college to fund my pets!! 

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 6, 2020 2:05 am
pat
 pat
Admin Admin

I am not trying to talk you out of anything, I was only giving you a few ideas.  However, I do understand your interest.  I just thought it would be better to start out with something that is not as aggressive.
I do remember some aggressive or potentially dangerous animals at a zoo. they had them double fenced so no one could get up "close and personal"  Most if not all the animals of your preference eat meat. 
so, that will not be cheap.  unless you do your own hunting. or raise your own meat.  However, having a zoo, people pay to get in, so that will certainly help, but, starting a zoo up will costly. Also, these type of animals have two enclosures that join with a heavy duty entrance.  I don't know if you heard of Joe Exotic? He has a bunch of tigers.  somehow, he has them pretty tame, but, he has a crew of workers to help him.

as for the  wolverines and African painted dogs, yes they are aggressive.  also, I think the painted dogs in the wild travel in groups. I remember seeing a video a while ago, where a little girl fell into the painted dogs enclosure. can't remember the outcome, but, I am pretty sure they killed the little girl.  

I have seen a few videos of private owners that has wolverines in captivity.  These owners could not get close to them.  However, who knows how they were raised.  

speaking  of videos, I seen another one where a baby somehow got into the gorilla's enclosure.  It was amazing, the gorilla picked up the baby and held it as if it was it's own.
The zoo keeper was able to get the baby. no harm done to the baby or the gorilla.  

yep, you are correct about feeding the elephants.  they would not be cheap.  when I get rich and famous (OK, just rich LOL) I would get a few elephants.

I do support you on your decision. Keep me updated.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 6, 2020 12:43 pm
Splashstorm Ⓥ
Eminent Member

Zoos don't have tame animals bc oftentimes not even zookeepers get to interact one on one with the animals. Only the animal trainers do. And most people who are attacked by these animals were not private owners but ppl in zoos, sanctuaries, etc. So I would actually be pretty safe since I want to work one on one with my pet. I would build a deep bond with one animal before introducing the second. African painted dogs in the wild run with groups, even stray dogs in groups get that pack mentality and can become dangerous. My painted dog will have just me, my dog, and one other exotic predator. 

Here's a graph of big cat attacks from 1992- 2013:

And seeing as that's big cats, which are basically more likely to harm you than any other animal, I think I'm good to go.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 6, 2020 7:09 pm
Splashstorm Ⓥ
Eminent Member

I added up all the attacks in the graph and I got: 

AZA+USDA: 4
USDA FACITILITY/ZOO: 14
NO LICENSE/PET: 2
USDA SANCTUARY: 2

So seeing as mine will be my personal pets, I think I'll be much safer. I'm not really wanting a zoo. I said I wanted a predator park filled with my personal pets. If I can make money out of that, that'd be great, but that's not my priority. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 6, 2020 7:19 pm
pat
 pat
Admin Admin

I believe you.  go for it if that is your dream.  I assume you will wait till you are through college? 
as for the dog attacks, there are more dogs than exotics out there. I would never trust a pit bull though.  however,  I guess it is how they are raised.  A friend of mine has pitbulls, they are pretty tame for pitbulls.  
I get upset when I see stupid people training pit bulls to fight.  

Do you have any connections to get the aimals you want? I doubt they will be cheap. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 6, 2020 8:52 pm
Splashstorm Ⓥ
Eminent Member

Yes, definitely will wait until I'm done with college and have my career started. and yes, i know there are more dogs than exotics, which is why the percentages were the rate of attacks by population. i don't discriminate with dog breeds. with any breed it's all in how they're raised, although pit bulls were bred to be dog aggressive, but very people friendly. I'd trust them with little kids but not with other dogs unsupervised... 👀 👀 i think dog fighting is atrocious. So glad it's illegal!

No, no connections unfortunately :/ I'll have to make due with what I have. v_v

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 6, 2020 11:01 pm
Splashstorm Ⓥ
Eminent Member

Yes, definitely will wait until I'm done with college and have my career started. and yes, i know there are more dogs than exotics, which is why the percentages were the rate of attacks by population. i don't discriminate with dog breeds. with any breed it's all in how they're raised, although pit bulls were bred to be dog aggressive, but very people friendly. I'd trust them with little kids but not with other dogs unsupervised... 👀 👀 

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 6, 2020 11:01 pm
pat
 pat
Admin Admin

I have faith in you, I know you will make sure on the   pets you are getting.  I also  believe you will be successful.  

As for the pitbulls, I also believe the way they are raised makes a difference. 
I did see on the news awhile ago, that someone had a pitbull , maybe two, can't remember.  they had a young kid, for some reason, the pitbull attacked the little girl, 
can't remember if the little girl was killed. it has been awhile.  Another incident, a pitbull from a neighbor manage to break through the fence and killed their dog.
I have seen many more.  I just get too upset when I hear about this.

Keep me updated on your zoo. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 7, 2020 1:09 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: