Sybil’s Message Board

my beagle?  

Page 10 / 10
  RSS
pat
 pat
Member Admin

I just called the eye doctor vet yet again, left a message to what I wanted to do.
If someone calls me back, I want to see what they will charge for one eye injection. I really don't know any other vets that would do that.
There is one in Pittsburgh where my family is, I was going to call them, now I can't find the name of the place :roll:

I don't want to wait much longer to get Lucy's eyes taken care of. I worry, it might be too late. I think she can see a little bit.
My vet told me she can see a little above :shrug:

Lucy seems to have up and down days. There are days she will spend a lot of time outside and does wonder through the property.
She even tries to hunt rabbits. However, with the weather being hot, that could be a factor in that.

Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/08/2019 2:46 pm
pat
 pat
Member Admin

Mary,

I forgot to mention that I do have eye drops for the red in her eyes that is related to her diabetes.
The other eye drops I was referring to is for the cataracts she has. My vet did verify she has cataracts.
I just hope the eye drops for cataracts will help her. I have read a lot of reviews about these type of eye drops. These type of drops are suppose to dissolve the cataracts. My niece's friend has a dog that had cataracts, she used "cansee" (I think that is the name of it) It did work.

I am going to give lanomax a try... All I an do is hope it works. My vet said it should work, but, he suggested an injection first :shrug:
Trying to find a doggie eye doctor is not easy. I did call the one near me, but, they didn't call me back.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/08/2019 7:23 pm
TamanduaGirl
Admin Admin

Mary,

I forgot to mention that I do have eye drops for the red in her eyes that is related to her diabetes.
The other eye drops I was referring to is for the cataracts she has.

That's good. I would think that's the main problem. My Goldie dog had really visible cataracts but she seemed to see decently well anyway. The only time she ever showed it was on a walk one time. I got hot and took my coat off and had gotten ahead of her. When she saw me standing there with my coat off she wouldn't come till I put my coat back on and she then recognized me again.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/08/2019 5:39 pm
pat
 pat
Member Admin

That's good. I would think that's the main problem. My Goldie dog had really visible cataracts but she seemed to see decently well anyway. The only time she ever showed it was on a walk one time. I got hot and took my coat off and had gotten ahead of her. When she saw me standing there with my coat off she wouldn't come till I put my coat back on and she then recognized me again.

That is strange Goldie could see you with your coat on. Did Goldie ever see better later, or did she get worse? Did you ever find out the reason for that? did Goldies eyes look normal? Lucy's eyes are blue. I started eye drops for cataracts today. I just hope it will work.
I am sure Lucy has cataracts icon-sad

Thank you for sharing your information about goldie.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/08/2019 7:03 pm
pat
 pat
Member Admin

I started Lucy on her Lanomax eye drops today. I am starting with one eye first. the bottle is small, it is suppose to last 3 weeks for one eye.
for $100.00 a bottle, it better work. still cheaper than surgery, which I doubt she would be a good candidate for eye surgery.
I couldn't afford it anyway.

If the drops help in one eye, I will get another bottle of the same drops. She is due for a vet check. I will wait for a little while to see if the eye drops help. the vet can tell me more about her vision (I hope)

I think it is suppose to take about 4-5 days to start working. The bottle did not come with any instructions, but, it is on their web site.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/08/2019 7:26 pm
TamanduaGirl
Admin Admin

Yes. Goldie had cataracts but that was the only time I ever noticed it effect her vision, that I could tell. I even noticed her tracking a white goose across the pond one time. It may have been she could mostly make out the outlines of things due to contrast of light and dark and my taking my coat off changed my outline so she didn't realize it was still me. But if her eyes were really that bad, she must have adapted really well to the vision loss, because that's the only time she showed it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/08/2019 2:31 am
pat
 pat
Member Admin

Yes. Goldie had cataracts but that was the only time I ever noticed it effect her vision, that I could tell. I even noticed her tracking a white goose across the pond one time. It may have been she could mostly make out the outlines of things due to contrast of light and dark and my taking my coat off changed my outline so she didn't realize it was still me. But if her eyes were really that bad, she must have adapted really well to the vision loss, because that's the only time she showed it.

That could be. It is so hard for us sometimes to know what and if a dog that is blind or partially blind.

I thought Lucy was getting worse this morning. She seemed very lethargic icon-sad She lays beside my bed at night. She was there for a long time. . (she usually gets up and wonders outside in the morning or even sometimes at night) I got panic, gary said she was out all day yesterday and running around a bit. so I guess she was tired. She finally went outside for awhile a few minutes ago.

I have to get her to the vets soon.. I think she is constipated. I been giving her pumpkin with her meals, but, she don't eat much.
She will need another blood test. I will call today and get an appointment.
I hope those eye drops will help her. I don't see how it would, but, I did a lot of research on this product.

I have been putting a little rice with her chicken. However, I was not thinking about the carbs. I guess a little is OK.

I also give her one or two at the most a doggie treat. the treats both dogs and raccoons love is "Nudges jerky cuts"
I am looking at the ingredients here is what it lists:
30% crude poteen,
9% crude fat, 1%Crude Fiber,
25%Glucosamine (min)
Chondrotin suflfate (min)

it does say 50 calories for one treat. it is the carbs I need to focus on. Geez, I have no idea what the heck all this is.
I would probably be better off making the jerkys myself. I have a dehydrator.
All I need now is the time to make it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/08/2019 10:28 am
pat
 pat
Member Admin

first I ant to thank the people that donated for Lucy. It is much appreciated more than words can express.

I bought Lucy a bottle of eye drops for her cataracts. It is called Lanomax. It is a week today since she has been getting the drops in her eyes.
I am only doing one eye at a time. this way I can compare the difference. It looks like her eye with the drops is changing a little (which is good)
It is suppose to take about 3 weeks or more for her to see out of her eye. Maybe this is wishful thinking, but, it looks like she can see a little bit.
She was outside for quite awhile yesterday. (which is good) she still is not a ball of fire. but, seems to be a little better.

I would have liked to get her an eye injection with this product, but my vet won't do it. I contacted a doggie eye doctor, but they need an authorization from my vet. my vet did send but, the doggie eye doctor claims they never received it. I called my vet today and requested another authorization. I have to stop at the vet today to get another worm medication for Lucy. She has worms again :roll: (I will just write my vet a reminder note)

yesterday, I actually seen a worm hanging from Lucy's rear end. I pulled it out and disposed of it. She spent a few hours outside. which is good.

I few months ago, I bought a bottle worm medicine from tractor supply, it claimed it was suppose to last for a year. No, it did not. it has only been a few months. I am getting the "strongID form my vet today. that should help.

If anyone has any ideas for worming, please let me know. Also, how is it that some dogs get worms? my Aussie don't have them

I tried to get a picture of Lucy's eyes yesterday, for some reason my camera was not working. I can try with my phone, but, the pictures are not real good. my camera has a zoom setting on it. I will try to get my camera working today or tomorrow.

sorry for the long post. if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/08/2019 9:53 am
GitaBooks
Reputable Member

I'm glad the medicine is going well so far! Hopefully it will help her get her vision back!

Dogs get worms usually from eating wildlife. I think I remember you mentioning Lucy enjoyed eating rabbits and stuff, so that's probably where she got the worms. Our cats and dogs got them the same way.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/08/2019 10:06 am
pat
 pat
Member Admin

I'm glad the medicine is going well so far! Hopefully it will help her get her vision back!

Dogs get worms usually from eating wildlife. I think I remember you mentioning Lucy enjoyed eating rabbits and stuff, so that's probably where she got the worms. Our cats and dogs got them the same way.

she could have got it from a rabbit. but, she sometimes brings them in the house or near the house. but, yes, it is very possible that could be the reason. since she is blind, I guess she can smell them. beagles as you know have a very keen sense of smell.

I got a wormer from the vet yesterday, it is strongID. a few months ago, I bought wormer from TSC, the label claimed it lasts for a year.
that info was sure incorrect.

Thank you very much for your reply. I appreciate it more than words can say.

I have been treating her eyes with lanomax. it is a week yesterday since she started with it. I ordered 2 more bottles. for a 100.00 a bottle, it better work :lol: I am doing one eye at a time. If I can get my camera to work, will take pictures of her eyes.

she also has autoimune disease, she gets injections for that everyday. Geez, what I don't do for my animals. they are like my kids.

Thank you for your post, much appreciated.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/08/2019 10:55 am
hecate
Member Moderator

How is Lucy doing?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/11/2019 10:42 pm
Juska
Noble Member

Conte and Emo both have worms right now as well. My guess is they ate an infested animal or its poop. They can get worms from ingesting fleas as well. They have been given Bayer brand dewormer so hopefully that'll be the end of it.

Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the domestic shorthair cat

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/11/2019 2:35 pm
TamanduaGirl
Admin Admin

Pat hasn't gotten onto the board with her account yet. She has a lot going on and was stressed by the sites not working. Hopefully she can soon. Lucy is still alive but blind.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/11/2019 9:46 pm
Page 10 / 10
Share:

Please Login or Register