Notifications
Clear all

Arctic fox diet help.  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS
Valentine

Sorry for the delay in response. I actually went to the vet as I was so paranoid that he ate the tarp. The reason he can reach the tarp is because I roll it down over the entire cage when it storms really bad (like yesterday). Never had this problem with my first fox,  but there all different 😅. Going to have to find a safer solution. Anyways, It had been 3 days sense he ate and it was worring me sick. We found out that his heart murmur is at a level 5. She took blood work to find out if it was destroying the muscle or not. We have an urgent appointment on Wednesday, so I'm assuming that he'll need surgery. I don't know that for sure, but because it was labeled as an ER visit, I'm feeling like that might be the case. My vet recommended a raw diet for him and gave me Highland Raw dog food. As well as some probiotic powder supplement. I found a specific raw diet for foxes on https://kaiswayridgefoxes.com/diet. What do you think about a raw diet? I also got the chance to look at gizmo burgers as well. For now, I'm using up the raw food she gave me, adding high taurine foods to make sure he's getting enough taurine, as well as mixing some berries, freeze-dried patties, egg,  ect. in the meat mixture. I've been keeping track of everything he's eaten and how much of it. He wasn't eating anything on his own, so the meat mixture was all I could hand feed him that he'd eat. He eats probably 9.8 oz every 12 hours, including an afternoon snack. 

Thank you for the feeding advice, and I only cooked the outside part. It's a quick in and out of the boiling water. I'm still trying to figure out his diet, I might combine everything recommended into one diet plan. I just want him to be as healthy as possible. 

But for the cage, i think it's a great idea to use chicken wire, because then he can't stick his nose through and pull the tarp. Oh, and I love your tower idea, I think that would be so cool to add to the cage, how did you make it? And how tall was it from the ground up?. I like the way you set up your cage, I'm hoping I can do something like that as a future expansion. And I always wondered what people use for tops. I use 3 cage panels for the top, which is a bit of a waste. 

My raccoons never got the chance to meet my fox sadly, they were released before Valentine came home. The raccoons were wild babies (I found Daisy and her brother), as the raccoon mothers were all hit by cars. I was given Dylan and Danny by someone. Some days I wish I had kept them, I miss them so much.. But other days I'm glad they can be free, find mates and enjoy parenthood. But if they did meet the fox, I think they puff up and be all fussy 😂. They never liked the cats or any animal other that people(while I was around), they'd always try to nip them. So I'm assuming they'd defiantly not like the fox. 

My one baby (Daisy's brother)died for a reason I do not know. I was bottle feeding him, then when he was done,  he was shivering. I thought he just needed to warm up so I put him on a heating pad. He was gone when I went back to his cage.  I dont like thinking about it, its really painful. I dont even want to know why he died. His sister, Daisy, was absolutely distraught. Buried him where his mother died so they could be together. 

And I would love to see any pictures you have of the enclosure and any videos of the bears! And Benny sounds like such a sweetheart, I'm so sorry you lost him. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 13, 2020 3:58 am
Valentine

Forgot to mention; the site seems to go into a " you do not have word press admin". Happened a few times, just thought I'd mention it. Also, a question had arised; can fox be picky? Valentine is eating much better, but he, for example, shakes his head when he smells ground goat. He really likes beef, but rabbit and such he turns away mostly. Does it just take a while for him to get used to different foods? Or do I have a picky fox. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 16, 2020 12:05 am
TamanduaGirl
Admin Admin

There's been an issue with the server. He'll be switching us to a new server at the end of next week which should hopefully fix the issue.

My fennec fox site: http://tiny-foxes.com
My anteater site: http://www.livingwithanteaters.com

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TamanduaGirl

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 20, 2020 3:59 am
Valentine
Posted by: @tamanduagirl

There's been an issue with the server. He'll be switching us to a new server at the end of next week which should hopefully fix the issue.

Ah ok, was wondering about that, thanks.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 21, 2020 2:43 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share: