Notifications
Clear all

Arctic fox diet help.  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
Valentine

Hello, around a few months ago I received a older arctic fox male kit, Valentine, from someone who wasn't willing to keep him. He's been to the vet, has had his vaccines, and has been de-wormed. The problem I've been facing is 75% very soft stool and 25% diarrhea. It was much worse when I first got him, but I assumed it was variables pertaining to stress. I have had reds and never had this problem. His diet consists of 1 cup Orijin cat/ kitten food,  1 cup Purina dog chow, 5 baby carrots, 1 freeze dried patty, fish, organ meat, egg,  and berries. The vet recommended more fiber, so the dog food has a high percentage. I was just curious if it was normal for their stool to be so soft? Or if I wasn't feeding him right? I'm not sure,  I'm pretty stumped. He does have heart palpations (level 3), but the only thing I noticed that stems from that is that he sleeps alot and he has a calm demeanor. Other than that, he runs great, plays great,  and seems pretty happy. If anyone could point me in the right direction, that would be wonderful. 

Thanks!

Posted : January 2, 2020 7:54 pm
Valentine

Just wanted to add; I was on these forms awhile back, so I looked at my old account and got a 4/10 rating. I'm confused about the rating system: why I was rated? And what does the rating system imply?

Thanks 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 3, 2020 6:19 pm
pat
 pat
Admin Admin

Hi Valentine,

On the food for your fox, do not feed him cat food.  only dog food. also, fish is good, chicken is best.  I use to cook chicken, then grind it with a little bit of rice.  also, it is important a fox has tarine in their diet.

my foxes always got chicken liver/gizzards.  it is possible the cat food could be the problem. but, they also need taurine.  

as for the issue for the ratings, I have no idea. Mary did this board, I personally don't know much about the way it is set up. I might be putting this board back the way it use to be.  not sure at this point.

Please keep me updated.  

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 4, 2020 12:28 am
Valentine

Thank you Pat, I'll give that a shot. And I forgot to mention that he does get taurine, 500 + mg a day.

I'll definitely keep you updated on how the new diet goes :).

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 4, 2020 4:49 pm
pat
 pat
Admin Admin

@valentine

what type of taurine are you giving your fox?

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 4, 2020 11:37 pm
Valentine

@pat

It's the brand 'NOW' double strength taurine, which is in the form of capsules. I open the capsule and pour half the powder on a tiny bit of wet food.
ReplyQuote
Posted : January 5, 2020 7:05 pm
Valentine

Woah,  sorry, that didn't text like I wanted it to. It's the brand 'NOW' double strength taurine, which is in the form of capsules. I open the capsule and pour half the powder in a little bit of wet food.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 5, 2020 7:07 pm
pat
 pat
Admin Admin

@valentine

I honestly never heard of the taurine capsules.  Not sure how affective that is.  you could try the gizzards also.  (guess that is the "real deal") 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 5, 2020 11:20 pm
Valentine

Sounds good, I'll be giving Val gizzards as well. It's probably best he gets it from a natural source anyways, just never knew what foods had enough taurine. ☺

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 6, 2020 2:57 am
pat
 pat
Admin Admin

@valentine

keep me updated on how your fox does with the gizzards.  hopefully, it will help. it might not be a overnight change, but it should help in a short time.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 6, 2020 10:21 pm
Valentine

I will 😀 Thank you!

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 7, 2020 3:04 pm
pat
 pat
Admin Admin

@valentine

Your welcome. that is what this message board is all about, "helping each other" We have a lot of experience members here with different animals.  
I personally have raised 3 foxes. sadly, they all died of old age.  I also have raccoons, which I love also.  The first fox I got I also I got a raccoon the same time.
both were very bonded. even after I got the other two foxes, my raccoon and fox were still bonded and they communicated with each other.

I also have a black bear. (she was tough to raise) she came from a bad breeder.  It took me 6 months to get her tame. After raising her, all the animals after were easy LOL

Actually, this board is named after my black bear, her name is Sybil. I named her that because of her personality change.  My sister suggested to name my web site and message board 
"sybilsden"  (sadly my sister passed away, I miss her)

Please keep me updated on your fox, we are here to help. Us animals lovers have to stick together.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 8, 2020 1:55 am
pat
 pat
Admin Admin

I forgot to ask you about your fox.  I just remembered you have an artic fox.  Do you keep him in a pen or in the house?  You do know most artics are very hard to litter train?  
However, It don't hurt to try.  All my foxes were litter trained.  However, some would mark. but, I managed to train them on that also.  
If you want to try and litter train your fox, I will explain what I did.  Please keep me updated. How old is your fox?

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 8, 2020 2:00 am
Valentine

And I love that aspect of this message board, it has been the best by far to get any quality advice and information.

And I'm so sorry to hear about your little guys, it sounds like you took amazing care of them. To have them live to old age is amazing; goes to show what a great quality of life they had. It is too cool how your coon and fox had such an amazing bond, I'm guessing it was one that could never be broken. I just raised my first raccoons (found 2 on the side of the road. 1 of them passed and a rehabber that was teaching me let me take 2 so the baby wouldn't be raised alone) last year and never in my life realized till then how sweet and intelligent they are. I'm going to be rehabbing a few more this year, but those three will be irreplaceable. You are so lucky! Coons are so jammed packed with personality.

And wow! I bet that was no easy feat! And that name is so fitting for Sybil, I love it. Are bears similar to raccoons temperament wise?

And I am so sorry to hear about your sister. I love the name Sybil's Den, she did a good job coming up with the name! It fits the site really well. 

And we do, it's rare to find anyone who really knows anything about animals, especially exotics.

As for foxy boy, yes, I keep him in an enclosure. It's a 5 by 15. Not as big as I want long term, so he's getting a fox yard and more enclosure room this spring.

I got him older so he's not bonded like he would have been. Someone bought him without thinking, so I ended up with him. He's estimated 8 months old, born May.

And yes, he's the WORST at going in the litter box 🤣 , but I've been trying. I throw all his poop in there. I've seen him use it a few times, but not consistently. Any advice would be great!

I haven't brought him in the house yet because his poop was so bad, but I'm going to let him in this weekend. I've been fox proofing the house so he can have some time out of his enclosure and run in a bigger space. 

He's very sweet and has such a gentle demeanor. Still nervous, but brave enough to walk and jump all over me, but only while I lay down 🤣. He just let me pet him yesterday for the first time

Also *UPDATE* his poop is looking really good after the transition, but I'm a little concerned, as he's pooping almost nothing and not eating much, if anything. It's not the food because he loves eating. Last I remember him eating all of his food was when I gave him a big meal: chicken leg, big chunk of fish, liver, freeze dried patty, carrots, berries, and 2 cups dry food. That was 3 days ago and there were left overs of fish and all the kibble. The chicken was much too cooked, as I usually only cook it a little so bad bacteria is killed and the bone doesn't become brittle, but someone cooked this chicken for me. He also ripped the tarp that keeps him dry when it rains, so I pray he didn't EAT that.. I can always get him to the vet if you think it's something serious or just the change in food.. 

And just for fun, here's some pictures of Val (not the best) and raccoons (Daisy, Dylan, Danny *girl*).

IMG 20191221 165332
IMG 20190606 105437
Screenshot 20191121 184652
IMG 20191221 165117 (1)
IMG 20190606 105652
IMG 20190606 105508
IMG 20190608 202013
IMG 20191221 165258 (1)
IMG 20190608 200206
IMG 20190608 202003
IMG 5119
IMG 20190824 132046
IMG 1289
IMG 1062
IMG 5389   Edited

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 9, 2020 1:46 am
pat
 pat
Admin Admin

Thank you for your info and I love the pictures.  your fox is beautiful.  I love the raccoon pictures also.
As for the food you are feeding him, you really don't need the fruits and veggies.  foxes are usually meat eaters.  When I prepared the food for my foxes, I grind up the chicken, and sometimes add a little rice, then bake it in the oven.  Keeping it half raw will not l last as long when it is cooked. however, you can portion it out and freeze some of it.
Once in a while I would give them marrow bones.   My raccoons go nuts over them.

On the chicken legs, are they cooked or raw? Never give a fox or any animal cooked bones. I am sure you know that already.

How in the heck did your fox manage to get to the tarp?  climb the fence?   Foxes like to be high up and sometimes prefer to be on the ground.  I have a some shelves and a tower in the enclosure.  my foxes would use the tower a lot, but sometimes stay down lower.     Back to the fence, you could try putting chicken wire over the fence, this might make it harder for your fox to climb... The way I have my enclosure it has fiberglass panels on top, which is secured down on top of the fence.  However, the fence is actually a 10x10 dog kennel, but, what we did was put the 10x10 against the house. it made it a 10x20 enclosure.  There is also a doggy door that lets my raccoons and foxes when I had them, come in the room if they wanted to.  (sometimes on really cold days, everyone stayed in the room) The room has bunk beds (no mattress of course LOL) also a couple other places they could hang out.   I have litter pans in the room and in the enclosure.  When I get a chance I will post a picture.

I love raccoons also.  I have two standards and one albino female, she has red eyes.  How does your raccoon get along with your fox? How did the raccoon you had die?  I know it is heart breaking when we lose our animals. 

I am glad my sister come up with the name "sybilsden"  it does fit.  Sybil was very spoiled when we got her. she spent her first year in the house.  I have some videos of her, when I get a chance, I will post some.
Sybil is finally hibernating. She was late this year.   I did have a male bear, sadly, he died in 2015. he was only 15. I have no idea why.  His name was Benny, he was pet quality. "gentle Ben" LOL 

Keep me updated on your fox and raccoon.

Glad you like this message board, there are a lot of experienced members here with different type animals.  This board is always monitored for correct information. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 9, 2020 3:13 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: