Finally got a house...

Notifications
Clear all

Finally got a house!

Page 2 / 5
Nicophorus
Estimable Member

I like the color tile in that house, I need to switch mine out for something similar one of these days.

I suggest a high tensil steel stretched horse fence, not that soft metal red barn fence you linked.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 24, 2014 7:48 pm
pat
 pat
Admin Admin

congratulations on your new house. it is absolutely beautiful inside and outside. also, wonderful you have the property.

glad to see the tile floor, carpets don't mix well with some animals.

I am very happy for you, it is always so much nicer to own your home vs renting.

I am sure you are very anxious to move in. keep us updated when you get time.

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 25, 2014 8:03 am
BlueBaby1023
Reputable Member

Ash: I haven't seen her around very much, but if I do have specific questions I'll shoot her a message. Smile
Nicophorus: High tensil comes in 6 inch spacing generally, which is notorious for being a "goat killer" as it will cause them to get their heads stuck. That's why we're trying to find a different woven wire type fence. Thank you for the suggestion though. Smile
Pat: Thank you! We were specifically looking at houses with hard flooring, and we knew that any house we got with carpet would have to be redone. It's so much easier to keep clean and carpet is horrible for my allergies (to dusty moldy things, not to animals!), so we definitely didn't want it in our house.

We are having the inspection done on Monday, so fingers crossed that it all goes well. We should be officially approved for the loan by the end of this next week, and then we just have to start saving for the largest deposit possible. Smile

4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Great PyrxAnatolian Shepherds
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
~100 chickens, ducks, and turkeys

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 25, 2014 10:13 am
Nicophorus
Estimable Member

Bekaert makes high tensil horse fence with 3" spacing. In 4 foot, 5 foot and 8 foot heights. I keep my Goats behind 4 foot and my Ratites behind 5 foot.

Sparr Hardware (should be a location near you) carries it. Still looks great and tight at my place years after it was put up, and that's with 50+ goats and bigger things with direct access to it.

I tell you this because my neighbor fenced in his place with that same fence you linked, and only two years ago (maybe less), and it already is stretched out and warped in places. Mine and his fence are like night and day. There is someone in Wildwood that does a good job installing this type of fence too if you need.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 25, 2014 9:09 pm
BlueBaby1023
Reputable Member

Nico: Sparr is about an hour from me, so not too far, but as it turns out the whole property is fenced! We received the survey earlier this week and discovered that we don't have to do any fencing. Because the lot is partially wooded we thought only some of the front was fenced, but everything is apparently. The fence is about 4.5 feet with a string of barbed at the top. Since the neighbors have La Manchas, I figure that it will likely be good enough for the Nubians we are getting.

We just put a deposit down on 3-4 doe kids from a Nubian dairy not far from here, and we will be putting a deposit on some Berkshire piglets. We should have the kids by February and the piglets by May. We are also going to order some chickens, ducks, and turkeys from a hatchery once we get a penned area set up for each of them. As a guardian for the goats, we are looking into getting a guard llama but haven't had much success finding a farm that's nearby and raises them. The closest we found was south of Tampa, and they haven't returned out email yet.

The home inspection went well! Only issue is that the pipes in both bathrooms have come loose from the studs in the walls. We're having a plumber estimate the cost to resecure them, and are hoping that the current homeowner will fix them or comp us the cost, but if not it should only be a few hundred bucks. One access is through a closet, so it won't be a big deal. Our bathroom is adjacent to the kitchen though, so they will have to cut through the existing tile to resecure the pipe. So, we will have some mismatched tile in our bathroom. Not that it matters to us, but now we will definitely need to redo the bathroom before we sell this place in a decade or so. Smile
Other than the bathrooms, nothing was wrong other than a few missing window screens and lightbulbs. Overall a very sound house, and the home inspectors seemed confident we would have no issues as long as we got the bathroom pipes resecured.

Depending on how things go at my current job (I was planning to quit but management is changing hands so I may not if the new manager does things better) we may be able to put up a backyard fence right away so that we don't have to leash walk Apollo. Stella is fantastic off leash, but Apollo not so much.

This fence also may change the plans for foxes. Originally we were planning on getting Fennec(s) this year because we wouldn't have the budget to put up a backyard fence as well as put a large secured pen for the foxes back there, but it seems we might be able to. So we may end up getting Red(s) this year and Fennec(s) in the fall or next spring. I should know more by early December. Smile

4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 30, 2014 7:06 pm
Ash
 Ash
Admin Admin

Ooh, so exciting!

I'm Fable and Ifrit's mommy. Also mommy to Carousel, Breeze, and a bunch of snakes, lizards, and spiders. Oh, and one amphibian!

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 30, 2014 7:12 pm
BlueBaby1023
Reputable Member

It really is! I can't wait until December so we can move in and get some new paint on the walls. Smile The cats will be so grateful for more space to run around in. They're stuck in our kitchen and living room (about 400sqft) in our apartment, and that's not a lot for 4 cats who aren't cuddly with each other to get along in.

4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 30, 2014 8:00 pm
Nicophorus
Estimable Member

The chances are a llama (or a donkey) will not save a goat if a bobcat or coyote comes calling at night. Donkey can even backfire and kill goats, this is what mine did to a newborn kid and she picks on the adults so much I no longer trust her with them when I am not around.

If you want a llama anyways (like I wanted a donkey), then by all means roll the dice. I just wanted you to know what my experience was.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 31, 2014 3:32 pm
BlueBaby1023
Reputable Member

Nico: A Boer breeder I interned with in Oregon had guard llamas that worked fantastic for him. I'm unsure of donkeys, I haven't had any experience with them, but I've never seen them work well for anyone. That's part of the reason that we chose to find a llama instead.

Sure, if you throw an untrained llama in a field they aren't going to have much impact on predators but the research I have seen over hundreds of ranches indicates a predation loss of 11% pre-llama and less than 1% post-llama.

4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 31, 2014 4:09 pm
Nicophorus
Estimable Member

What killed/kills my animals is Bobcats, keep that in mind. I've read Llama only go after the dog type predators. A lot of bobcats in cent. FL. Donkey also totally ignores the cats.

Knock on wood I have not had coyote issues even though I know they are close by, I like to think the Donkey keeps them out of the pasture after dark. (I corral my goat herd at night with the donkey on the outside).

I still think a livestock dog is the best and if I ever moved up to a ridiculous amount of land and animals i'd for sure get them. Fight a predator with a predator.

If you do find Llama to work, tell us. And let me know who the breeder/trainer of them is here, I might look into it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 31, 2014 8:33 pm
BlueBaby1023
Reputable Member

The predation statistics I found were for all types, not just canines. The llama folk I've spoken with say llamas guard against everything, even non threats like tortoises, rabbits, etc. Anything new is a threat, not just canines, and they react accordingly. It's just anecdotes, but the data agrees with them. I'd be happy to link a few studies for you to look over, though it will have to wait a few days as I'm out of a computer until mid week (my laptop's motherboard died). For now I just have my phone.

I just can't do LGDs, I don't agree with dogs living outdoors, especially here in Florida. Most LGDs are long haired and get horrible skin conditions from being left outside. I've seen a lot of them come in to be bathed with skin issues from the humidity. Llamas don't get those skin health issues if they are shorn properly.

4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 1, 2014 7:39 pm
BlueBaby1023
Reputable Member

Starting to get pretty excited for our house! We close on it exactly two weeks from tomorrow! The first thing we are doing is painting the walls so that it's fresh and clean when we go to move in. The previously mentioned bathroom problems were fixed by the homeowner in exchange for letting her stay in the house two days after closing so that she has time to paint the new house she acquired. Since I will be doing finals/papers that week and Nathan is working the 18th and 19th of December, we decided that was a fair and trade since we'd get no work done on it anyways.

After painting, then we move onto working on the backyard fence! As much as I trust Stella off leash, Apollo has absolutely zero recall ability, so it's necessary for him to run around outside without trampling off onto the rest of our acreage. Typical Great Pyrenees.

With all of the research that we have done, we already have seeds from a seed saver exchange that we are going to use to build a huge garden to be sufficient to feed us, the small animals, and to mix into some homemade dog foods once we start making it with the livestock we are going to be raising. Still torn on the raw vs. cooked diets for the cats, dogs, and ferrets, just simply for the bacterial count information. And it's awful that there's no true hard studies on it that I've been able to find.

At any rate, we discovered a really useful application online. It's called "Garden Planner" from Mother Earth News. It does cost money after the first 30 day "trial" period. But, like I said, it's super useful for planning. It tells you spacing, timing, feeding, harvesting, troubleshooting, etc. on hundreds of plant species. If anyone is interested in growing an intricate and extensive garden like we are, this is a handy tool to have available. It is $25 per year, but I definitely think it's worth the money for the information that it gives.

If anyone's interested, here's a link: http://gardenplanner.motherearthnews.co ... anner.html

As far as our livestock goes, we have settled on getting a few color varieties of Orpington chickens (likely buffs, blues, and lavenders), Muscovy ducks (in chocolate, blue and white, and black and white), as well as Red Bourbon and Royal Palm turkeys. We may get some Wyandottes (silver laced, gold laced, and blue laced red), but have not decided if we can afford to build a fourth shed/pen area as we don't want them cross breeding with the Orpingtons. So far, we will have to start with 35 chickens (30 hens, 5 roosters), 30 ducks (straight run), and 15 turkeys (straight run). It will be a busy day when they arrive at our front door and we have to set up the brooders.

The goat breeder we settled on still hasn't seen any signs of impending labor, but she says they're getting bigger every day. They all look about the same distance along, so she expects them all to pop at once in about 1 month. We also found a good breeder for bucklings that's a bit farther south of here with different lines, so we will end up buying a buck later in the spring/summer months for breeding the four doelings we are getting from her.

We did end up putting a deposit down on 5 Berkshire gilt piglets, and we are going to work on that pen that's already on the property before the snakes come back out. (Although, to be honest, I'm not sure they are inactive during the winter here; it was over 80 degrees today still. AC is necessary in December, who knew.) Not sure where to get a boar from, but we are still looking and planning on asking the breeder for a suggestion.

As far as a guard llama, we did find a breeder after much looking and calling around! We haven't gotten much information on that yet as we've been playing phone tag for a few weeks, but she said she will have one available this summer. Fully trained, castrated male. While we do plan on hotwiring the perimeter fence for added safety, I feel much better after browsing through the goat forums on homesteading sites and hearing success stories of decreased predation with guard llamas.

We found a barn building company about 20 miles away and they have available a perfect sized one (32x36x10 LWH) for not too bad of a price. When all is said and done (buying the kit, buying the siding, and paying to have it put together), it should be about $5k for a ~1200 sqft barn. Goodness knows we aren't capable of putting that together. We plan on using this mainly for hay storage, but also to milk the goats in and to have a safe and secure area for kidding and keeping the goats in during their first weeks of life. Because this is a pricey construction, it won't be going up until the slower late spring/early summer months when we have more cash floating around after putting together the poultry runs and a temporary fence for the goats as well as buying all the previously mentioned livestock ($1000 for the doelings, $200-300 for the buckling, $675 for the pigs, and about $600 for the poultry, plus unknown amount for the llama), but we are happy to have found a good company for it ahead of time.

Homesteading, and expensive (but fun!) adventure.

4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 2, 2014 10:19 pm
Ash
 Ash
Admin Admin

Wow, what a nice price on the barn! Just 5k for everything?? That's amazing.

I have hopes to put a pole barn up, but that won't be for quite a while. Also will depend if the parents are cool with it obstructing the view, lol. But hey, they'd get a free barn, so.... haha.

I'm really excited for you, and your excitement makes me excited. I won't be able to start off with as much this coming spring, but hearing about your plans and success is inspiring and motivates me!

I'm Fable and Ifrit's mommy. Also mommy to Carousel, Breeze, and a bunch of snakes, lizards, and spiders. Oh, and one amphibian!

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 3, 2014 1:29 pm
BlueBaby1023
Reputable Member

Yep! The kit without siding is about $3500, and we found some decent siding at Menards which should run us another $1000 or so, and I can't imagine that it would cost more than another $500-750 to have the posts sunk, tresses hung, and roofing put on. We can do siding ourselves, just not the rest of it.

Me on a ladder at the moment is a very bad idea. I have been paying the price for overworking, I hurt my back a few weeks ago and today I bent the wrong way chasing Apollo around and can barely walk again. Ladders would only be a minefield for me hurting myself like I so often do.

Thanks! I'm glad I can motivate you. I'm super excited to start on the garden and poultry pens. Those are our first major outdoor projects, and the garden needs to be started here in just over a month with indoor seedlings. And we're going to get the poultry as soon as we can get the sheds we're using for coops assembled and modified for the chickens appropriately. They'll be in our garage brooding area for a while, anyways. Smile
If I could, I'd bounce with excitement. My back might just murder me if I tried.

4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 3, 2014 4:58 pm
BlueBaby1023
Reputable Member

Closing papers were signed yesterday, and everything went smoothly! We are picking up keys tomorrow night, and are going to spend a few days painting before I head home on the 23rd for Christmas. Nathan is staying behind to work and start moving a few things, then I'll be back on the 28th to help. We're going to work on the backyard fencing starting at the beginning of January. Smile
I'll post some pictures on Saturday when I go over to start scrubbing walls and taping tarps to the ceilings, countertops, floors, etc.

4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Red Foxes