Sybil’s Message Board

Akita Inu - breeders, temperament, training, puppy raising  

RSS
Juska
Noble Member

So in the next year or two, I've decided I am buying my first home (hoping to close on one by winter 2020). Nothing huge or expensive, just a single family home with a yard and a garage so I can do car stuff and have pets. I got to thinking, now would be a good time to finally get another dog, after almost 10 years of living on my own and being unable to own one in apartments. And of course, Namira (our kitty) is coming too!

After considering my favorite breeds, I think I've settled on one. The Japanese Akita Inu is not too big or small, not too aloof to prevent having guests over, and not as strong in protecting instincts as the other breeds I was considering (Sarplaninac, Central Asian Shepherd). And on top of that I have more experience with the breed as my first dog was (from our best guess lol) part Akita; as well as having groomed a few in my years as a dog groomer. I have posted threads here about these breeds and I find myself coming back to them again now that I can actually accommodate one. And now I am very much aware that $2000+ is reasonable for a properly bred puppy, haha. Can't believe I used to think $500 was too much for a purebred Akita! 🤣 Boy do I feel dumb going back and reading that.

I believe I have found a suitable breeder: https://www.shiranuikennels.com/

They are based in VA, which is about a 5 hour drive from where I plan on moving to, north/west-ish NJ. I've spoken to them on FB Messenger and they answered all of my questions, to which I was very happy to hear their answers aligned with my preferences for raising a dog (for example, they are okay with me waiting until my hypothetical future puppy is fully grown before neutering, instead of imposing a neuter on the puppy before he is fully grown like some breeders/rescues do). This breeder is planning an expected all-brindle litter in fall 2021, around the time when I think we'll be pretty settled into our new home. Hopefully we are ready to welcome a new puppy by then. I am on their wait list now.

My ideal puppy is a silver brindle male with a calm personality. I've always liked calmer dogs. Max and Emo were very calm, rational dogs. Not too jumpy or excitable, except during playtime of course. I'd like to train my puppy and possibly get CGC certification with him like I did with Max. I'm not sure if I'd like to show him, that takes a lot of work. Perhaps obedience would be more relaxed. I'm aware the Akita is not the most trainable breed but I've seen people do some pretty incredible work with them. I'd probably be feeding a mixed raw and kibble diet like I do with Emo. I will have to talk to the breeder about what they recommend.

I will continue to do research until the time comes, about the breed and training. Below are photos of the sire and dam that will  be having a litter in 2021, so most likely the parents of my future puppy:

This topic was modified 1 month ago by Juska

Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the domestic shorthair cat

Posted : 20/10/2019 4:07 pm
Topic Tags
TamanduaGirl
Admin Admin

That's great. Glad you were able to find a good breeder.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/10/2019 11:05 pm
Ash
 Ash
Member Admin

Wow, they are beautiful dogs. I'm glad you're finally going to be able to live with a canine again. And congrats on the decision to buy a house. That's a huge step forward. But a step in the right direction. I look forward to seeing your future puppy! I know it's still far in the future, but do you have a name picked out? I sometimes have a name picked out years in advance, lol.

I'm Fable and Ifrit's mommy. Also mommy to Carousel, Breeze, and a bunch of snakes, lizards, and spiders. Oh, and one amphibian!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/10/2019 5:08 pm
Juska
Noble Member
Posted by: @ash

I know it's still far in the future, but do you have a name picked out? I sometimes have a name picked out years in advance, lol.

You know me well 🤣 I have a few names chosen but I haven't decided on one yet.

The one I like the most is "Gin", pronounced "ghee-n", and it means silver in Japanese. There is a manga/anime from the 1980s about a silver brindle Akita Inu, and his name is Gin. The title is Ginga Nagareboshi Gin, or Legend of Silver Fang. When I was in Japan I was lucky enough to find a few volumes of the vintage manga series; they are very hard to find nowadays. So I think that name would not only be fitting, but a good name that the puppy would easily understand, since it is one syllable and a unique sound.

I also considered Goku, because again it's an easy name for a puppy to understand, and it is Japanese in origin (well, Chinese if you want to get technical because "Chūgoku" means "China" in Japanese, which is where the main character from Dragonball's name comes from). But, I thought that may be too goofy of a name. However, more people would understand it versus "Gin", which will probably be constantly mispronounced as "gin", like the alcohol.

This post was modified 4 weeks ago by Juska

Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the domestic shorthair cat

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/10/2019 4:09 pm
Ash
 Ash
Member Admin

I personally like Gin best, but yeah, people would probably mispronounce it. Everybody mispronounces Ifrit's name though, lol, but it still works out fine. And the important thing is it suits her too.

Goku will always remind me of Goku from DBZ/S. It would be such a cute doggie name though now that you mention it as a possibility.

I'm Fable and Ifrit's mommy. Also mommy to Carousel, Breeze, and a bunch of snakes, lizards, and spiders. Oh, and one amphibian!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/10/2019 8:10 pm
Share:

Please Login or Register