Notifications
Clear all

African painted dog  

RSS
Splashstorm Ⓥ
Eminent Member

Why is it so hard to acquire an African painted dog compared to an even more endangered species like the tiger? There's between 3,000 and 6,000 dogs left in the wild but only 3,900 tigers. Why is it that pet tigers are so commonplace while African painted dogs are so protected? 

【 Past Pets 】Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
【 Close Future 】German shepherd service dog puppy prospect!
【 Far Future 】Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Missouri fox trotter horse, African painted dog & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Cat tickers
┏━━━━━━━━━━━━/(=⌒x⌒=)\━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┓
░▒▓█ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ɢʀɪᴇᴠᴇ. ᴀɴʏᴛʜɪɴɢ ʏᴏᴜ ʟᴏꜱᴇ ᴄᴏᴍᴇꜱ ʀᴏᴜɴᴅ ɪɴ ᴀɴᴏᴛʜᴇʀ ꜰᴏʀᴍ.█▓▒░
.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。・🐰💫🐶.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。・.・
.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。・💗💗💗 .・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。・.・
┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━◦🐾◦━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

Posted : July 25, 2020 2:58 am
Nìmwey
Reputable Member

Gah, I wrote a response I liked but the website server crashed? Here it is again...

I believe tigers are easier because in America, the tigers that have been bred for many generations (in circuses, private collections and the like), are considered "generic tigers", i.e. not pure Bengal, Amur, or anything. I asked on this forum about why jaguars are so hard to get while there are 10-15 thousand of them (much less endangered than tigers), and that is the answer I got.

Also a part of it is probably that some animals were more historically popular than others. Tigers and lions obviously much more popular, in circuses, zoos and collections, so they have a much stronger foothold in the trade than less popular animals, like wild dogs and hyenas.

I wanted a tapir but they simply don't exist in the trade. 😛 

Exotic birds, canines, snakes and hoofstock are my main interests.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 7, 2020 1:08 pm
Splashstorm Ⓥ
Eminent Member

Ah, now that's just not fair. I googled it and there are 5,000 tigers in captivity but only 300 wild dogs. Maybe there'd be more wild dogs overall if they'd allow more into the pet trade. I couldn't find the number of jaguars that were in captivity.

I don't understand why it's illegal for endangered species to get taken in as pets (only to owners that can handle them). Being pets will always help the species as a whole thrive. I know they say that doing so will actually cause the species in the wild to decline even more, but the root of the issue is that humans are encroaching on their homes and habitats. It has nothing to do with the pet trade. If we really want to help them, we can start by targeting the root of the problem, such as human overpopulation, among others.

【 Past Pets 】Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
【 Far Future 】Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Missouri fox trotter horse, African painted dog & much more!

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 7, 2020 9:49 pm
Splashstorm Ⓥ
Eminent Member

I found an article on why keeping endangered species is bad, and basically it just says that wild animals don't belong in your yard, you can't meet their needs (or diets), they could hurt you by being dangerous/carry diseases (or hurt the public if they get out), and they can become invasive. It also said that keeping them could diminish their wild populations and you can never be sure that the pet you're getting was captive-bred.

Of course we know that private exotic pets almost never hurt the public. And cats are an invasive species yet they're legal everywhere. Not liking the double standard.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 7, 2020 10:24 pm
Nìmwey
Reputable Member

Articles on exotic pets are usually crap. Melissa Smith writes some really good stuff, debunking all the anti-exotic nonsense.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 8, 2020 7:28 pm
Nìmwey
Reputable Member

I also have a tumblr blog called pro-exotics, but it's pretty quiet, mostly sharing videos and articles.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 8, 2020 7:28 pm
Splashstorm Ⓥ
Eminent Member

Yess I'm actually subscribed to Melissa's blogs! I use them to debunk the dangers of exotic pets, particularly big cats. 

That's so cool about your Tumblr. I'll check it out 🙂 i used to be on Tumblr all the time. XD I actually have a blog about wolfdog misrepresentation but I forgot the password & email for it 🙁 this was before I knew how to create multiple blogs with one account. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 8, 2020 8:04 pm
Share: