Notifications
Clear all

PET OWL CARE

Peacefulward
Honorable Member Pats Friends

I’ve been researching pet owl care recently as I’ve become interested in them.
I’m working on a list of proper owl care articles and videos, but for now here’s a YouTube playlist with videos of them. Most are just cute videos, but it gives you a good idea of how to handle an owl and what they’re like. Some videos showcase their vocalizations and behavior:

... -QmLM07Alq

Most are Japanese since pet owls are very popular in Japan.

I have also found people who breed non-MBTA owls and that will sell to private owners that meet their standards; it’s not impossible to get an owl in the US after all!

3 Dogs, 2 horses, 1 donkey, ducks, chickens, and a coatimundi currently

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, mink, sand cat, owl (any species).

Topic starter Posted : December 10, 2017 3:07 pm
TurkRoach
Trusted Member

Wouldn't you still need to have a falconry license since it is a bird of prey?

Bora Kalem

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 11, 2017 9:30 am
Peacefulward

Wouldn't you still need to have a falconry license since it is a bird of prey?

It depends on the state I guess, but in NC you don’t need any special permits since owls that are non-native aren’t MBTA. Not sure if this applies to other birds of prey though.

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, mink, sand cat, owl (any species).

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 12, 2017 9:39 am
Gryffindor
Trusted Member

Yeah, I've seen Eurasian Eagle owls for sale. I know they're legal in FL but not sure if they are nation wide.

I love owls and would love a Eurasian Eagle owl, Indian Scops owl, and Barn owl to start with. The Barn I'd need a license for, of course. I'm really interested in wildlife rehabilitation so I wonder if that would be a way to become licensed? And possibly be able to own native owls that can't be returned to the wild for whatever reason?

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 31, 2017 7:03 pm
TamanduaGirl
Admin Admin

Not really. Your state rehab permit will not allow you to keep birds on the treaty list. You still need the federal license to keep/rehab them or go the falconry route. Some people do have the license, like our raptor center, their main goal is rehab but if the are unreasonable they are kept.

My fennec fox site: http://tiny-foxes.com
My anteater site: http://www.livingwithanteaters.com

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TamanduaGirl

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 31, 2017 8:26 pm
Onyx
 Onyx
Trusted Member

Oh wow, I thought all raptors needed special permits to be kept. I've been interested in owls myself lately. I adore the sooty owls, but I am sure those would be hard to come by.

Wheatley - Male | Ball Python | Russo Leucistic
Anima - Female | Leopard Gecko | Bell Albino
Kaida - Male | Green Cheek Conure | Pineapple
Tenebre - Female | Betta splendens | Crowntail

Family also owns three cats and a pitbull.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 1, 2018 12:09 am
Peacefulward

Oh wow, I thought all raptors needed special permits to be kept. I've been interested in owls myself lately. I adore the sooty owls, but I am sure those would be hard to come by.

I've never seen sooty owls for sale, but I've talked to people on Facebook who can import white faced scops owls to US residents, although I heard it's expensive. Those are great owls to keep as pets, and beginner friendly.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 21, 2018 12:52 pm
Share: