Sybils Message Board is filled with many great pet forums.  A great place to share experience with:
 Exotic pets, Farm animals, Reptiles, Feathered Friends and Domestic pets. 

Home Page
Bears
Care Sheets
Dogs
Emus
Foxes
Pet Poems
Pet Steer
Pigs
Raccoons
Lite A Candle
Vet Listings

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Red Panda as pet? 

Sorry if this was already asked but,

Ive been doing some research on red pandas and they dont get any bigger than a raccoon and are soo cute. they eat mainly bamboo, and i was thinking, has anyone heard or kept one as a pet before? In my state, Florida, Its legal with a permit of course. What are your thoughts on having one as a pet? Id do the necessary research before id buy though, just thinking about it.

All opinions welcome.
except ones that say (why dont you stick to a dog or cat?) :?

**About the whole "legal" thing, well im not sure if it is, In Florida its not listed as class I or class II so im guessing its class III which would make it legal, i sent an email asking though to be sure.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:22 am

All opinions welcome.
except ones that say (why dont you stick to a dog or cat?)

This is an exotic animal board. I highly doubt that any of our true members would make this statement. Just saying.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:39 am
Profile WWW

You can see what the e-mail says, but, I'm pretty sure their banned from the pet trade, and I've been told they're an endangered species. So, I think it's illegal to have one as a pet- as I think some zoos can't even manage to get them...

And pet wise, I think you should just stick to a dog or a cat....
:lol: just kidding, sorry, bad joke. x)
Anyways, I don't think I've heard of anyone keeping them as pets before- so, the only research you could probably find of them are how they live in the wild- then you need to test on how you can provide how they live in the wild at home, as you're not going to find how other people have successfully cared for them at home. So, that may prove to be difficult on possibly multiple levels. ...And, I think I Have actually heard of One place having them before- and, I'm pretty sure they're not as sweet as their faces portray, and they can't be a little bit rough, but I think they can be nice on occasion.
So, my opinion is going to be that they definitely wouldn't make an ideal pet, but if you really wanted one- they might not be too bad, and it could be workable. Just don't expect the cuteness to want to cuddle you back. ;)

(I was interested in them too- but I felt it was rather impractical, so, I gave up searching for now.)

Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:49 pm
Profile YIM WWW

LOL that wasn't a bad joke it was funny :D
And i called FWC and the investigator said i would only need a US fish and wildlife permit for importing from another state and a class III permit in Florida other than that im good to go :shock:
I'm researching on how to care for them and im applying the permits, If and when i get them I will post many pictures :)
I know they may have a rocky personality but i love animals for who they are, if they have a mean personality so be it , of course i hope there "nice" :lol: Its hard finding info on how to take care of them, But i will keep trying.
I live in Florida if anyone was wondering what state allows them :mrgreen:
But if anyone has any info on how i can find some cubs please let me know! They are really hard to find.
:|

Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:11 pm

Interesting - If that's actually true that would be really awesome. ...But I still feel like there is some other law that's hiding about owning them... But if they can actually officially say the red panda is classified as a class III and there aren't any laws about them being endangered or anything, then, well, yeah, cool. :) Hah.
Sounds good. Hah.
That's a good way to go- I like people who think like that. Mhm, well, I'll keep looking for information as well- and if I find anything good, I'll be sure to let you know. (And I'll also let you know if I find any breeders or ones for sale too.)

Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:29 pm
Profile YIM WWW

But if the state says so then i guess its true. :lol:
On Wikipedia they said they're VU (Vulnerable) , not sure if this counts as endangered though. He said i would need a US fish and wildlife import permit since theyd be coming out of state. And thank you for helping, I appreciate it alot If i find a breeder or any new info I'll keep you posted as well. :D

Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:45 pm

Well, it still depends - it also might be different for your region too. ...I'll use Regtatter's [past] situation as an example - she did lots of research on the laws and talked to multiple people (in charge of laws), and wanted to ensure that she complied with all the laws there were- and it appeared that she had, but later on someone came up saying that they weren't allowed in her county because of something with rabies...(and she ended up winning the case because she basically proved that her fox couldn't have rabies for multiple reasons), but it still shows that surprise laws can arise from anywhere- so you should try to check from Multiple sources. (Not trying to be negative, just trying to be cautious.)
And ok, that might be true...(although, that section on Wikipedia has lied to me multiple times, so that May not be true.) But ok, just saying there might be something else on them.
But ok, that permit itself is pretty easy to get, so that sounds good. And just wondering- you said before that he also said you'd need a class III permit- what's that one? (Or isn't it one?)
Mhm. :) And ok, thank you.

Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:17 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Hey, I didn't realize I reached 600 posts already. x)

Haha, sorry, anyway - I was skimming the internet for info- and at least 9 things on one google page said they're listed as endangered. Not to mention, they really only have a couple babies in a single year. (So, this would explain why they would be quite rare in the pet-trade.)
http://www.animalinfo.org/species/carnivor/ailufulg.htm This site also says they're endangered and has a tiny bit of info on them.

And a tiny bit more here (I'm sure you've read these already- I just feel links are more convenient.) http://www.arkive.org/red-panda/ailurus ... /info.html

So also, by the way - these guys aren't actually bears.

Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:30 pm
Profile YIM WWW

I'm in the process of checking with alot of sources, such as CITES, US fish and wildlife as well as Florida fish and wildlife just to be safe, Wouldn't want the animal to get confiscated or put down :( And I'm also going to check my county, i wouldn't want to put my animals through what Regtatter went through if i couldve prevented it.
I'm hoping CITES will be able to tell me whether the red panda is endangered or not, And class I is for CITES animals. I believe its called a red list and the animals on it you would need special documentation to import/export . But for Florida I'd need a class III which is basically anything not listed on Class I or Class II (for Florida) Or on they're endangered list.
CITES class I is different from Florida's class I , Florida's class I means you cant own it as a pet, Florida's class II (such as servals, bobcats, lynx,cheetah etc) means you can own them as a pet if you have substantial experience and zoning statements from your county. But class III as i said is any wildlife that's not on class I or class II, and 16 and above can apply for class III.
So the Florida investigator i talked to said i would need the US fish and wildlife import permit and a class III since the red panda isn't listed on there endangered list or the Class I or Class II.

lol im sorry if above sounds confusing,
Heres the website for Florida fish and wildlife
myfwc.com , you can find the list of endangered, Class I and class II there . :)

And no your not being negative at all, your just being careful and thorough :mrgreen:

Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:46 pm

Lol no worries, I'm not sure when i reached 12 :?
Yes there not bears :shock: , They were originally listed as bears but they then changed it to the raccoon family. Then they got their own family i believe? And thank you for the links :) I have read those sites before but it wont hurt to re-read, incase i may have missed anything the first time.

Last edited by jillbill1212 on Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:49 pm

I think this is all amoot point as they simply arent in private hands. Ive been into exotics, even the super exotic, for 15 years now and have never seen them offered. I was able to find a sandcat to import in the past and they are considered rarest of rare in captivity. Never have I seen a red panda.
Feeding them might prove a difficulty as well.

Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:50 pm
Profile WWW

They are very rare, I'm hoping i will find one,
But i still have some more research to do before i ever buy one as you can see, Which includes whether there truly legal, their care, their food etc. The info is a little hard to find as no one really posts their specific care or their specific diets but with a little determination im sure i can find something.

Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:58 pm

I checked my county and they dont have any specific rules / laws that ban any wildlife or endangered animals from being pets! :bear
I'm going to double check though.
So if they dont ban it, Then i would need a US fish and wildlife permit which i would have to apply for and a class III permit, Then I'd have to call CITES to see their rules on importing/exporting endangered animals . In order to gain experience with red pandas i want to volunteer somewhere but im not sure of anywhere in Florida that has them, Maybe a zoo, Hmm that way i could learn how they take care of them and what they get fed,One thing is for sure though, I have alot of researching/calls ahead of me ;)

Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:12 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't know about red pandas but real pandas are RENTED from China. No one owns them but the Chinese government. They are rented for millions of dollars and when a baby is born it belongs to China too so if a zoo has a pair they start paying rent on the baby soon as it's born.

Hmm looks like it's the same
Japan to rent red pandas from China - http://article.wn.com/view/2010/02/12/J ... rom_China/

PS you can see CITES species listings at their site. It is up to date at the moment http://www.cites.org/eng/resources/species.html CITES I since 1995

http://www.livingwithanteaters.com

Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:27 am
Profile WWW

Ill check it out,
I'm sure there class I or apendix I , :?
I'll call them today to see if its even possible or not,
*fingers crossed*

:)

Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next